Search Unity

Networking options for building a MOBA/RPG-like game with rooms of up to 20-30 players

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by stefanplc, Apr 24, 2018.

1. stefanplc

stefanplc

Hi there,
    I'm currently building a game that's similar in play-style to a MOBA or an RPG. Right now I have it setup as 1v1 arenas and I'm using Photon PUN for it and it works great, I'm really happy with the result. Towards the end of the year however, I would like to scale things up a bit and switch from cloud networking to having the game run on a authoritative server where up to 20-30 players can fight at once. I'm not sure however what my best option would be for something like that in terms of the networking service.

I've looked at Photon's services that are listed on their website and to be honest I'm a bit confused as to what the difference between them is. What I did understand is that they do have this "Photon Server" option however I don't think it's quite as plugin and play as PUN is, it would require me to setup and run my own servers which I'm not sure how easy it is. The good thing about it is that this could be very cost efficient. They have a free plan for up to 100CCU and if I'm not mistaken there are some server providers where you also only have to pay more if you're getting the traffic. Does anyone know how hard it would be to setup and run several Photon Servers? Are there any other paid options where I don't have to manage the servers and run similarly to PUN?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. TwoTen

TwoTen

If you are purley looking for a way to manage authoritive servers, I know PlayFab can automatically manage Amazon EC2 instances for you. They spin them up and down based on load.

3. stefanplc

stefanplc

That's good to know, thanks!