Search Unity

Networking multiple relatively simple scenes.

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Ahverice, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Ahverice

Ahverice

Hey, I'm looking for opinions and maybe different approaches to tackle a situation, I'm experienced in Unity and Networking and have an idea about how I'm going to do this so this is more of a discussion of opinions and ideas for me to take on board.

I have a project that will contain many scenes, not super detailed, they're in space so mostly vast empty space (Floating point precision is not why I'm here it's already covered.) And players will travel between them using Jump Gates. If you were to create something like this how would your networking between multiple scenes all at once be handled?

Idea 1: Each scene contained on separate server instances connected to a Master Server that also handles things like chat etc..

Idea 2: Export scene data like collidable body sizes and positions as json and have the server read it so I can recreate a somewhat rudimentary version of physics for each scene all on a single server at the same time, the server wouldn't know the scene is anything except a list of collidable objects Unity's built in physics is thrown out the window at this point.

If any of you know Digital Anvil's 2003 game Freelancer think of that, players were all on a single server yet spread across multiple star systems at any one point in time, there was a drawback where movement was client authoritative which I'll be avoiding and that's what makes this that tiny bit more difficult.

Idea 2 is the one I'm leaning towards I just thought I'd get some second opinions before I start plugging away at the code for it.

Thanks.