Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Networking: feedback and questions

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by BHouse, Sep 13, 2018.

1. BHouse

BHouse

Unity Technologies

In a September ‘18 blog post, we shared more details about the long-term vision for Networking at Unity, as well as some details about our first steps forward that will be available in alpha soon.

This sticky post will stay up-to-date with blog posts and talks that are relevant specifically to the rewrite of the Unity networking stack. Here’s the list that exists today:

Talks
    Blog posts
    If you have feedback and questions specifically about our in-progress Networking stack, please post here to ensure the support team and developers dedicated to this topic see and respond.

optimise, dichardson and Joe-Censored like this.
  2. monark

monark

So I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but I hope it's a relevant place. Please redirect me if not.

I'm new to multiplayer networking and starting my researching on how to get things setup for my particular use case.

There is a bewildering amount of information out there and most of it directed at the older multiplayer systems.

Starting with a clean slate and the new developments where would you point me to solve this scenario

1. I have a multi device already existing "game" that is used primarily on desktop in WebGL and on mobile iOS and Android in app form. It also exists in standalone exe format and legacy Webplayer - but I don't need to worry about those. I need to add multi-player into this existing ecosystem.

2. In terms of multi-player I need to only setup initially to account for one user as host and many (but only small numbers say max. about 30) of clients that the host needs to communicate with.

3. A specific invitation can be sent by the host to the clients to join a multi-player session. It's not designed to be accessed by anyone anywhere, in general all the players will in fact be in the same physical room.

So this is effectively a closed small group of networked players with no complicated match making required and no real need to worry about latency or distance.

Are the initial new tools working in a peer to peer manner suitable for this situation?
    And if so will there be built-in methods to handle the grouping of players using either an "invite" scheme or a join if on the same IP setup scenario.

Where do I start to figure this out?

3. Srokaaa

Srokaaa

I wonder how suitable will new networking stack be for AR games? Most of them are played on LAN where one of the players hosts the game and others just join it. There are some examples of this done with UNet, such as:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SharedSpheres

Will I be able to recreate something similar with new multiplayer solution?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  4. ksakins

ksakins

I'd like to comment on the current state of the documentation and getting developers involved with alpha testing. Yes the introductory PingPong example is pretty basic, but I feel we need a little more, such as some of the UNet examples where it demonstrated creating two character controllers and getting them to sync.

The FPS example, in my opinion, right now is overkill for just trying to wrap your mind around the new Networking API. I'm hoping some more examples come soon, because right now I feel like I can't do anything beyond tweaking the PingPong example. For example, what's the best way to serialize my data and associate it with a GameObject? Will there be an API for that or do I need to rely upon some other serialization library?

And a final comment as it relates to the overall coding style in some of the Unity examples I've seen. If Unity really wants to use its samples and code as a means to teach developers how to utilize a library, I would personally find it helpful if the development team adopted more of the normalized C# coding standards. A couple of things on that note that I've seen:

jessejarvis and goldbug like this.
  5. BHouse

BHouse

Unity Technologies

The best set-up for XR installations is usually a dedicated server onsite, and the new systems already support this for faster local iteration. For now, you may still need to manually enter the server's IP address (or hard-code it in), and in the future we are considering more options for local discovery / server-list type systems. Feedback about specific needs will be helpful as we prioritize what's next.

6. BHouse

BHouse

Unity Technologies

This is good feedback, and we definitely have a lot of room to grow here. We are initially working on figuring out how we convert the FPS sample to a simpler starter kit, and beyond that, we'll keep thinking about how best to balance complexity with supporting "real" game scenarios.

goldbug likes this.
  7. snacktime

snacktime

I would echo the sentiment of the FPS example being too much. That approach while still valid for some very limited use cases, has gone out of favor over the years as a general approach. Latency is not what it used to be, and responsiveness is more important in most games then accuracy. You handed developers a hammer that will likely be used on a lot of flies and very few nails.

8. goldbug

goldbug

I was looking at the Ping example. 800 LOC to send a simple ping and pong message seems insane to me.

Do you expect indie developers to manually serialize data into streams, keeping track of sequence numbers, connections, jobs, etc... just to send a few messages?

It looks like "Performance by default" really means "Usability as an afterthought".

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    e199 likes this.
  9. snacktime

snacktime

Overall my thoughts so far.

BIggest concern is lack of structure. My idea of a good networking system is it supports some type of plugin system. In another thread I suggested pipelines as made popular in Netty, as that allows layering plugins as well on a per channel basis. But regardless of the specific approach, without an intentional and somewhat opinionated structure there will be very little reuse as people just make up their own approaches to extending the system.

Along the same thought patterns, why put the implementation of the snapshot networking into the FPS demo and not in the multiplayer project. There is a lot of code in the FPS demo that IMO belongs in the multiplayer project. Parts that would be reusable in other approaches as well and can and should be generalized.

What it looks like to me is that there was pressure to get something that worked out the door. There are just too many holes in what was released for anything else to make sense really. The red flag to me is that you seldom recover from that when you do it at the system design stage.

goldbug and e199 like this.
  10. timjohansson

timjohansson

Unity Technologies

The new Transport Package is intended to be the low-level building block on which we will build our new netcode. It is not something we expect all developers to use directly, we know it requires a layer of utility code on top of it in order to be easy to use. We are working on creating such a layer as a core feature of the engine, but it is not ready yet.
    What we do have right now is an early preview of the low-level transport layer - which will also receive quality of life improvements making the code less verbose. We are sharing it in order to get early feedback on the direction we are heading and be as transparent as possible about what we are working on.

Seb-1814, pratikxman, ksakins and 2 others like this.
  11. timjohansson

timjohansson

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback, it is in fact pretty well aligned with what we are planning to do.

In the current version of the transport we only have unreliable messages, but as we add reliability and sequencing we plan to do that in a modular and extensible way. We have a design for how to implement it and as soon as we have an early implementation of it we will share it to get feedback.

The FPS Sample is a full game showing how you can make a multiplayer game on top of what we have today. It has been in development for much longer than the transport package. Much of the netcode from the FPS Sample should indeed be generalized and moved to the multiplayer code. We will be doing that, and as we do we will update the FPS Sample to take advantage of the new things our multiplayer tech stack can do instead of using custom implementations. Generalizing that netcode will take some time though since we need to make sure we get it right.

12. monark

monark

13. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

The new transport will work with the setup you are describing (clients connect to a host on a LAN). For the invite scheme, sounds like you would basically just need to give the clients the IP+port of the host, but on a LAN that could be done with broadcasts. That isn't directly supported yet but it will be.

You can see what is available in the new transport today, what is there is very low level at the moment, but if you are starting today you could use the UNet transport (which supports broadcast messages) and switch later on as the new stuff matures.

14. monark

monark

That sounds fine to me, I'm only looking at proof of concept at the moment.
    Is there a sample of this using UNet that you can point me to?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  15. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

Seems there isn't an example in the script reference (see all the *broadcast* API points on the transport), but you could use the HLAPI source as a reference see how it's done in NetworkDiscovery class.

16. ksakins

ksakins

Thanks for adding some clarity to this. I suppose it wasn't immediately clear to me that this was just an initial feedback release of the low level transport, with more to come for assisting with the API. It's something that confused me and caused a little hesitation about being willing to adopt the new framework.

So this totally makes sense now. Thanks! Do we expect that "utility code" to eventually be incorporated into the FPS example? And will that be an iterative process, as the netcode samples are updated the FPS sample will likewise be changed?

17. capyvara

capyvara

Some questions:

• Seems that the plans is to directly use the public structs (BasicNetworkDriver<T>, NetworkConnection, etc) and in the future different INetworkInterface's can be used to provide stuff such as WebSockets or a TCP fallback?
    • There's any way to use the DataStreamWriter to measure or clamp the size after it has been written? I need to fill up the packets as closest to MTU as possible
    • There are plans to make a INetworkInterface to simulate latency, packet loss, etc?
    • Will the multiplayer package at the FPSSample be updated to the latest version?
    • Seems that FPSSample had some handy utilities (PacketFragmenter and a empty PacketNotifier), why they were dropped? I've ended up making a PacketNotifier on my own.
    • How's the ETA to IPv6? it may be a blocker for Apple AppConnect review.
    Thanks!

18. MichalBUnity

MichalBUnity

Unity Technologies

Yes that is the point.
    Not at the moment. We are looking at different solutions to this. We understand the importance of flow control so its on our radar.
    So we are experimenting with both the INetworkInterface and the NetworkDriver. In order to simulate different network conditions. So yes i'ts in the backlog.
    Eventually yes. We want all samples to finally feel the same. So you wont end up having copy and paste data from one repo to another. A thing to keep in mind is that the sample game will most likley have modifications to suite that game. Just like in a real life production.
    There will be coming more utilities as we continue develop this.
    I'ts high on our list of next tasks to do.

19. spakment

spakment

Will the new libraries support peer to peer networking or will they require a separate server?

20. BHouse

BHouse

Unity Technologies

The transport is agnostic (i.e. can be used P2P or DGS), however, beyond that we are not currently focused on a new Relay service or NAT punchthrough, so you will need to find alternatives to this. Also our future higher-level simulation systems (i.e. delta compression, forward prediction, etc) will be focused first on a server-authoritative client-prediction model (i.e. typical FPS / fast-paced game model), which will assume network traffic is centralized (typically a game server).

spakment likes this.
  21. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

What is "Server Query Protocol" in multiplayer sample project? Is there any documentation about it?

22. AvatarNick

I am looking through a code and have a few questions about quality of service. For this UDP transport layer, are there currently built in options for reliable or reliable sequences data? Or is it currently meant only for high passed action games that can afford small amounts of packet loss?

Thanks!

23. BHouse

BHouse

Unity Technologies

We are currently working on features for reliability and sequence numbers that can be included when you need them, so they'll be the next on the list to reach alpha customers.

24. BHouse

BHouse

Unity Technologies

SQP is required to run in the "Game Server Hosting" environment - it provides information to the server management services (like player count and some perf metrics), so it can determine the health and activity of a server. The Hosting service is in alpha, and we are gradually adding users as we continue to stabilize.

Kichang-Kim likes this.
  25. AvatarNick

Thank you for the quick reply that sounds excellent! I am spending the next month of so doing an extensive deep dive into networking technologies. I currently have a prototype game under the HLAPI and want to move to the new system with as few hiccups as possible, so I am very interested in the underlying techniques used to obtain reliability with UDP.

Do you have any technical insight into how this is achieve or methods your team is looking at to achieve this? For the example of a turn based game, from my limited knowledge I believe some messages would to be reliably transmitted such as turn changing and unit movement where 1 move is made each turn (I would envision a packet failing to deliver when a unit is moved on a player's turn would be a substantial problem in this type of game).

Thanks again

26. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

Not sure what kind of details you are looking for, but you'll be able to send reliable packets, which you could use for the type of messages you're describing. Delivery will be guarenteed and they'll also be in the right order. You'll probably be able to do it on a per packet basis, so you can specify exactly what message should be reliable, as opposed to switching all packets to reliable (or something similar to the unet channels). Since this isn't done yet I can't say exactly how the API looks.

Skjalg likes this.
  27. AvatarNick

Excellent! That is exactly what I need

28. Skjalg

Skjalg

Really looking forward to this.

Are there any plans for creating a broadcasting API? Right now it's the only thing I still need from the old HLAPI and I'm already tired of seeing the warnings about them being deprecated.

29. e199

e199

30. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

I checked Unity 2018.3b and it's all LLAPI are marked as "deprecated". But it seems that new networking API does not have full-feature compared with old LLAPI, like packet fragmentation, reliability, packet order and so on. Will new API be updated to same feature-level to LLAPI in 2018.3 cycle?

31. Skjalg

Skjalg

They've said no, and that they deprecated it just to tell people that its going away in the future, not because theres a viable alternative.

BHouse, Kichang-Kim and Joe-Censored like this.
  32. Zamaroht

Zamaroht

Hello, I've been taking a look at the Networking Transport alpha package that is published on github. I was wondering if webGL support for clients is a priority in the roadmap or not yet, since I understand that a different network driver will be needed. Thanks

33. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

Does new networking stack support custom header for raw UDP packet? It is need for custom packet relaying. Also, is there any information for top-level header structure for new networking stack? Thanks.