Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Networking alternatives

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MikeHergaarden, Aug 14, 2009.

1. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

I'd like to have an overview of all the networking alternatives available to choose what to use for a future project. Please tell me if I'm missing something in this list:

2. LukeB

LukeB

Looks like you've got all of the big ones there :). I'd reccommend simply using the built in Unity functions as it'll save you a nasty hole in your pocket if your game doesn't turn out as planned :)

3. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Yea, I prefer the built-in unity networking the most. However, it's got a few nasty bugs and misses a few simple yet important features. A big "serious" mutliplayer game still needs an external networking solution.

4. LukeB

LukeB

Not necessarily - plan out your bandwidth usage correctly and you'll have 500 people online with less than 5kb of network usage at the server (if everyone is idle or moving - the above is said from experience; how it works is well kept a secret :))

5. Quietus2

Quietus2

By just glancing at some of the message identifiers for some of the wow emulators, they appear to register the start of a move and a stop but nothing in-between. I would hazard to guess you're hinting at something similar.

6. reset

reset

Leepo, I have been following some your posts on this forum regarding some of the bugs in the Networking/Master Server aspects of Unity3D.

Is the fact that you are wanting to change the config of Unity's networking due to these issues?

I have a fear that these bugs could be damaging to Unity's networking capabilities.

I have almost finished my network game - but have not tested it extensively. Getting worried that it will fall apart in proper tests.

Will the bugs be fixed? Have you talked to support?

thanks

7. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Yes and no: No because I'd really like to stick to the unity networking where possible; it makes development so much easier..I don't want to start coding java at the server end for example. Yes since I'm also looking at a solution for 500 users per server. However, for this game setup I will be first testing how unity runs 100-500 users (making good use of grouping, not too much bandwidth per player).

I haven't received a word about this. No reply to my bug tickets and Tom said we shouldn't expect any networking updates in 2.6. That doesn't completely exclude it and they might still do some fixes.

It's not too bad though; For 'simple' multiplayer games the unity networking works great. For those games everything works great and there's a workaround for 1 known bug. This is the only bug that I don't know a workaround for (yet), but then again I haven't experienced it in an important networked game (just Crashdrive atm): http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=30788&start=15.

8. jashan

jashan

Is it "very simple"?

If not ... I'd say from "not tested it extensively" follows "it's just started" ;-) ... not to scare you but in my experience, setting up proper testing alone is a non-trivial task for multiplayer which involves stuff like creating your own robots and the like and also setting up the server-environments (if you're using authoritative servers).

Personally, when starting a new multiplayer-project I'd start designing the methodology for testing into the game very early on. Actually, I'd test the most relevant networking features under "expected load" in the very first prototype. I'd really recommend a "test early, test often"-approach for anything involving networking - and I'd even recommend testing as much as possible with the same setup that you'll have when you go productive (maybe just scaled a bit down).

9. reset

reset

Jashan, I have developed my networking to be as small as possible. However it can expand and this is where I have not really pushed the program.

I am testing in constantly with friends to make sure that it adheres to what I am wanting to create.

Very happy so far :)