Search Unity

Bug Network Simulator not working in Unity 5.6

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Tools' started by Nekotika, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Nekotika

Nekotika

I've created a simple project that uses the NetworkManager and Custom Network HUD components. It works great and I can create and join a game, move the players around and see them moving in each client, etc.

But when I try to use the "Use Network Simulation" option in the NetworkManager component, even with "Simulated Average Latency" set to 1 millsec, the client can't connect to the server.

I've tried adjusting different ConnectionConfig parameters, using different "Simulated Average Latency" values, and still, it doesn't work at all.

It's currently broken or I'm doing something wrong?

2. donnysobonny

donnysobonny

I was trying this yesterday too for the first time. I'm using the 5.6 release too. What I was finding was the NetworkClient.ConnectWithSimulator request didn't appear to do anything, in that the server-side never got any connection request from the client. I'll admit I didn't look much further into it but yeah I wonder if it's maybe an issue with 5.6...

3. aabramychev

aabramychev

Unity Technologies

yes, correct, it doesn't work now :( I will advertise when we will fix them

donnysobonny likes this.
  4. Farresto

Farresto

Hi, do you have any estimated time on when you'll start working on this?

BTW, does anyone know if this is working well with 5.5? We already switched to 5.6 after quickly checking everything was working well, but with this issue we might have to roll back to 5.5 until it's fixed.

5. navy2x

navy2x

This is nice to know! It's checked by default when you first use the Network Manager. This will break any multiplayer game and took me two days to figure out!

6. UnityForge

UnityForge

Hi, we also would like to know if there is an ETA scheduled for this fix or it is still not planned. Any information you can share with us could be beneficial for the planning.

7. Stormy102

Stormy102

I can confirm that this is still broken on 5.6.0f3. When can a fix be expected @aabramychev?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Excuse me, what does that simulator allows to do?

9. Stormy102

Stormy102

Simulate packet loss and latency. However, I noticed that it appears to be fixed in patch 5.6.1p1. So all good now I think.

Deleted User likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you.

Stormy102 likes this.
  11. aabramychev

aabramychev

Unity Technologies

Sorry for late answer. Should work with the last patch... If not ping me please as i applied fix some weeks ago

Stormy102 and Deleted User like this.
  12. Stormy102

Stormy102

Works fine on 5.6.1p4. Thanks for getting the patch out asap :)

13. Anisoropos

Anisoropos

5.6.2p4, for most configurations it does not preventing me from joining (*) but it does not seem to have an effect on the latency.

Tried with Unity - Exe, Exe - Exe both in Release and Debug configuration. Note that all tests were on the same PC, and online matchmaking.

Also, I am experiencing a ~130ms delay even when playing on machines on the same PC online.

At the same time, network simulation does work on LAN in Debug configuration.

(*) Update :: With release exe in LAN it does prevent me from joining as client, but it does let me host (I can then join from Unity).

Overall I can't figure out what configuration I'm supposed to use this with.

Am I missing something?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017