Search Unity

Question Network ping calculation

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by andreyshade, May 10, 2022.

1. andreyshade

andreyshade

What is the right way to calculate ping between client and server?

2. CosmoM

CosmoM

There does not seem to be a built-in way to do it. The way I do it myself is to have a coroutine running on each player object that every 0.1 seconds notes the time, calls a ServerRpc that immediately calls a ClientRpc on the same client, where the time is again noted and the difference stored (the round-trip time, RTT). The ping is then half the average of the last N RTT measures, where I've set N=30 (so ~3 seconds). At the same time, the server runs a coroutine that does the opposite (call a ClientRpc that calls a ServerRpc) so the server knows the ping to every client.

3. tkejran

tkejran

Afaik netcode already syncs local time to server, so
    LocalTime - ServerTime
    should give you proper ping value, no?

4. CosmoM

CosmoM

That also works, yes – although this seems to be averaged over a longer length of time, and adds a tick from what I've seen, so depending on your application you'd subtract 1/(tick rate) (so for a tick rate of 50, you'd subtract 0.02 seconds).

5. luke-unity

luke-unity

LocalTime - ServerTime 
    will give you a more accurate value for how the ping will "feel" like for a player when they move via NetworkTransform, so if you want to display a number to the player I'd recommend to use that one.

andreyshade likes this.
  6. CosmoM

CosmoM

Isn't that only true for interpolated movement?

7. Music_Corner

Music_Corner

Should i use (LocalTime - ServerTime).Tick or (LocalTime - ServerTime).Time to get milliseconds of a ping?

UPD: I used (LocalTime - ServerTime).Tick and it feels like a proper thing to go with

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024