Search Unity

Resolved NetDbg tool doesn't work properly

Discussion in 'NetCode for ECS' started by optimise, Jun 28, 2021.

1. optimise

optimise

Hi @CMarastoni. When using NetDbg tool, I get the following errors and I see nothing is updated in NetCode 0.6.0-preview.7. Any idea why it like that?
    InvalidOperationException: GetSingleton<Unity.NetCode.NetworkSnapshotAckComponent>() requires that exactly one Unity.NetCode.NetworkSnapshotAckComponent exist that match this query, but there are 0.
    Unity.Entities.EntityQueryImpl.GetSingleton[T] () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/Iterators/EntityQuery.cs:863)
    Unity.Entities.EntityQuery.GetSingleton[T] () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/Iterators/EntityQuery.cs:1523)
    Unity.NetCode.GhostStatsCollectionSystem.OnUpdate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode@9c36d57f37/Runtime/Stats/GhostStatsCollectionSystem.cs:166)
    Unity.Entities.SystemBase.Update () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/SystemBase.cs:412)
    Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemGroup.UpdateAllSystems () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemGroup.cs:472)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    Unity.Debug:LogException(Exception) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/Stubs/Unity/Debug.cs:19)
    Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemGroup:UpdateAllSystems() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemGroup.cs:477)
    Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemGroup:OnUpdate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemGroup.cs:417)
    Unity.Entities.ComponentSystem:Update() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystem.cs:114)
    Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemGroup:UpdateAllSystems() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemGroup.cs:472)
    Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemGroup:OnUpdate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemGroup.cs:417)
    Unity.NetCode.ClientSimulationSystemGroup:OnUpdate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode@9c36d57f37/Runtime/ClientServerWorld/ClientSimulationSystemGroup.cs:90)
    Unity.Entities.ComponentSystem:Update() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystem.cs:114)
    Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemGroup:UpdateAllSystems() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemGroup.cs:472)
    Unity.Entities.DummyDelegateWrapper:TriggerUpdate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/ScriptBehaviourUpdateOrder.cs:333)

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index 0 is out of range of '0' Length.
    Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1[T].FailOutOfRangeError (System.Int32 index) (at <127e81e1cb3441cc97d26b1910daae77>:0)
    Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1[T].CheckElementReadAccess (System.Int32 index) (at <127e81e1cb3441cc97d26b1910daae77>:0)
    Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1[T].get_Item (System.Int32 index) (at <127e81e1cb3441cc97d26b1910daae77>:0)
    Unity.NetCode.GhostStatsCollectionSystem.AddSnapshotStats (Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1[T] stats) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode@9c36d57f37/Runtime/Stats/GhostStatsCollectionSystem.cs:98)
    Unity.NetCode.GhostSendSystem.UpdateNetStats (System.Int32& netStatSize, System.Int32& netStatStride) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode@9c36d57f37/Runtime/Snapshot/GhostSendSystem.cs:2265)
    Unity.NetCode.GhostSendSystem.OnUpdate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode@9c36d57f37/Runtime/Snapshot/GhostSendSystem.cs:2279)
    Unity.Entities.SystemBase.Update () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/SystemBase.cs:412)
    Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemGroup.UpdateAllSystems () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemGroup.cs:472)
    Unity.Debug:LogException(Exception) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/Stubs/Unity/Debug.cs:19)
    Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemGroup:UpdateAllSystems() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemGroup.cs:477)
    Unity.NetCode.ServerSimulationSystemGroup:OnUpdate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode@9c36d57f37/Runtime/ClientServerWorld/ServerSimulationSystemGroup.cs:75)
    Unity.Entities.DummyDelegateWrapper:TriggerUpdate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@bfeb4734bd/Unity.Entities/ScriptBehaviourUpdateOrder.cs:333)

2. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

mmm. The only think I can think of is a missing RequireForUpdate in the GhostStatsCollectionSystems for the first one.
    For the second one I would say, probably, if you try to connect the NetDbg tools and there are not ghost prefab setup? (this is just really guessing).
    Can give me more information about how are you running the NetDbg tool (like what project, etc)

3. optimise

optimise

@CMarastoni Alright u can ignore the previous errors I post. I change all the
    UNITY_EDITOR || DEVELOPMENT_BUILD defines at GhostCollectionSystem to NETCODE_DEVELOPMENT_BUILD since those debug logic makes the editor and development build too slow.

Anyway now it just crash when NetDbg tool connects to editor. Any idea why? I believe the repro project at Case 1333309 can reproduce the bug. You can remove my custom Netcode package and restore it back to official Netcode0.6.0-preview.7. If still cannot repro the bug let me know.

Unity.NetCode.GhostStatsCollectionSystem.BuildPacket () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode@0.6.0-preview.7/Runtime/Stats/GhostStatsCollectionSystem.cs:254)
    Unity.NetCode.GhostStatsCollectionSystem.BeginCollection (System.UInt32 currentTick) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode@0.6.0-preview.7/Runtime/Stats/GhostStatsCollectionSystem.cs:185)
    Unity.NetCode.GhostStatsCollectionSystem.AddSnapshotStats (Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1[T] stats) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode@0.6.0-preview.7/Runtime/Stats/GhostStatsCollectionSystem.cs:96)
    Unity.NetCode.GhostReceiveSystem.OnUpdate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode@0.6.0-preview.7/Runtime/Snapshot/GhostReceiveSystem.cs:775)
    Unity.NetCode.ClientSimulationSystemGroup:OnUpdate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode@0.6.0-preview.7/Runtime/ClientServerWorld/ClientSimulationSystemGroup.cs:90)

upload_2021-6-28_22-54-18.png
    upload_2021-6-28_22-55-7.png

4. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

I don't know now how your code looks like now.
    But given the fact that it crash inside the build packet and there is a null reference and a suspicious out of bound in a line like:
    Code (csharp):
    2. for (int i = 0; i < m_PredictionErrors.Length; ++i)
    3. {
    4.        *(float*) (binaryData + binarySize) = m_PredictionErrors[i];  <------ ??? What going on here?
    5.        binarySize += 4;
    6. }
    I would probably put a breakpoint and investigate a little. The pointer for the m_PredictionErrror is allocated inside the SetGhostNames, so it should be valid at this point.

5. optimise

optimise

Today I debug the issue and seems like the issue comes from here. Any idea?
    Unity.NetCode.DebugWebSocket.SendBinary (System.Byte[] msg, System.Int32 offset, System.Int32 len) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode@9c36d57f37/Runtime/Stats/DebugWebSocket.cs:260)

upload_2021-6-30_3-12-3.png

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  6. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

looks like the Len + Offset is larger than the msg size.
    So something wrong with the setup of the GhostStatsCollectionSystem packet pool or something similar.
    Is the UpdateMaxPacketSize and/or EnsurePoolSize being called ?

7. optimise

optimise

UpdateMaxPacketSize method doesn't being called when the error spamming. It only being called 2 times when I enter play mode.

8. optimise

optimise

Hi @CMarastoni. Have u find out the root cause of this issue?

9. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

Didn't look at that yet. But sounds like an issue with the EnsurePoolSize that does not reserve enough space since there are 14KB msg size but 30KB data
    Probably something you changed in the GhostCollectionSystems or other places. You also mentioned you changed EDITOR || DEVELOPMENT_BUILD => DEVELOPMENT_BUILD. Probably something does not get properly initialized anymore in the editor but only in the build for you.
    I would need the code to understand what it is wrong.

10. optimise

optimise

@CMarastoni I can reproduce the same error at public release NetCode 0.6.0-preview.7 without any custom modification.

11. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

My fault, I misunderstood the sentence
    I will check then using your project.

12. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

Looks a typo in the UpdateMaxPacketSize. The length ofd the PredictionErrors array is not multiplied by 4.
    This is the correct formula:

Code (CSharp):
    1. 8 + 20 * 255 + 4 * m_SnapshotStats.Length + 4* m_PredictionErrors.Length + 4 * 255;
    And I think is not fixed in later versions, so may thanks for reporting. It was stomping memory at random.

desertGhost_ and optimise like this.