Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NetCode issues with open-vr

Discussion in 'NetCode for ECS' started by mikaelK, Dec 3, 2020.

1. mikaelK

mikaelK

Earlier I created a thread about Getting started issues with Netcode.
    Later I found out that it wasn't my code that was faulty. It was because I added open-vr to the project.:(
    So adding open-vr seems to break NetCode's prediction system.

I filed a bug report and the answer was very concerning. It's not an issue with Netcode and Unity.
    Its an issue with open-vr and Valve should fix it. Meanwhile open-vr seems to run pretty well on other engines networking systems. Photon seems to support. Need to test it though.

Is this it? Is this the end for my games networking with Dots?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  2. mikaelK

mikaelK

3. AdamBebko

AdamBebko

Even with non DOTS projects, I've been having massive problems getting steamVR to work in unity these days. It seems it just doesn't. Unity pulled support for openVR in 2019.4, but it seems before there are any really working solutions. Seems like it was a bad idea to me. I tried using the new XR toolkit, but I get the hod's right eye always a black screen.. so *shrug*? I've had to go back to using 2019.3. But now netcode package says it needs 2020.1 now. So maybe out of luck there.

mikaelK likes this.
  4. mikaelK

mikaelK

Well I got it working through pain and time with the steam-vr plugin Unity 2020+.
    QA told me they dropped support for openVR, but it doesn't look like the issue is with the openVR.
    Why else its working with other solutions? Or is this only because they made it with other engine or Unity 2019? That I find hard to believe.

5. AdamBebko

AdamBebko

Glad you got it working!