Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NetCode Headless Tiny server

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by NovaEiz, Mar 31, 2020.

1. NovaEiz

NovaEiz

Hi!

Please answer the following questions:

1. How can I compile NetCode in Tiny?
    When compiling, it returns an error in " unity.properties".

2. How do I compile in headless mode?

3. How do I remove rendering from the build?
    If you remove the rendering packages, the build returns errors. Although the build scene is empty.

Thanks!

Arowx likes this.
  2. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

@NovaEiz3 thanks for the questions,

1. Right now the current netcode package doesn't work with the current release of Tiny, we are aware of this and are currently working through the issues to get working in the DOTS Runtime.

2. Right now there is no headless mode for Tiny/DOTS Runtime. This is also something we are currently working on and hope to have more information in the near future.

3. So this is dependent on how your projects are setup, the way the build system works is that it only pulls in the asmdef files you specifically reference and its dependencies. In order for rendering to be remove you also have to make sure that you remove anything that could depend on it which may or may not cause issues at the moment.

3. NovaEiz

NovaEiz

Thank you for your answers!

3. I understand what you're talking about.
    To try to remove rendering, I removed the rendering asm def from the connected main asm def in the Tiny3D example.
    As a result, errors occur when starting the build in the console.
    But in the build folder, rendering libraries also appear (This is not 100%, we need to try again, I forgot).

It turns out that even if you remove the asm def rendering and compile a completely empty scene, Tiny still tries to use rendering at startup.

4. optimise

optimise

Hi @andrews_unity. Any new progress for this? Currently I need DOTS Websocket at hybrid DOTS environement for Android client and Linux server.

5. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

@optimise at the moment we do not have WebSocket support for DOTS Netcode or the core Unity Transport and that is not on our current roadmap. Is there a reason standard sockets do not work for you ?

6. optimise

optimise

@andrews_unity Sorry for late reply. My ultimate goal is able to build pure dots game server runtime that needs to have dots websocket to remove all the unnecessarily overhead that add by Unity default at hybrid build and enable best possible performance. To build pure dots game server runtime I can't use any of OOP class type library like C# WebSocket right?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    JesOb likes this.
  7. Opeth001

Opeth001

Hello @andrews_unity,
    I'm trying to build a headless server using DOTS and tiny package.
    My goal is to make the client use normal DOTS stuff but the server using tiny to eliminate anything useless so i can make best usage of CPU and RAM.
    The server will juste use these packages and their dependencies:
    Entities
    DOTS physics
    DOTS Transport

Is current version of Tiny is able to do what I'm looking for ?

Thank you!

JesOb likes this.