Search Unity

Feedback [NetCode] First impressions

Discussion in 'NetCode for ECS' started by ScallyGames, Dec 27, 2020.

1. ScallyGames

ScallyGames

I know NetCode is not recommended for production at the moment but I wanted to utilize it in my current university project as I feel like this is a good space to try out new technologies and experiment a bit without any major risk.

The demonstrations and features (esp. editor integration with starting server/client/slim clients with one click) and the nice structur behind the systems looked really promising and I got started trying to implement the logic of the simple cube example in my current small game prototype.

However I immediately ran into multiple exceptions with blob assets, serialization and instatiation of ghosts which I had no direct control over but which the system is supposed to handle for me. Furthermore the stack traces were basically useless as it was just a long nesting of unity net code with no connection to any of my logic, so there was no good way for me to find out which operation or which of my instructions/objects/systems were causing those exceptions to occur.

There were a few other problems before that but this was the deal breaker for me and for now I am probably letting NetCode mature a bit before I take another look and check out Unity Transport for the time being.

I'd really like it if there was a better way to figure out what exactly is going wrong and which requests/operations trigger exceptions (I know this is due to the separation of responsibilities between different systems and the communication between systems through component data causing stack traces to not be directly connected, however some way of making sense of things would be nice).

If there is any advice on how to follow communication flows leading to errors I'd be happy to hear and give it another try.

2. al33f

al33f

I had a similar experience. I'm sure it doesn't require more than an hour or so to bring that tutorial up to date and clear everything up so that it actually works. A few months ago I actually put the effort into it and fixed everything until I had a working project and offered to rewrite the tutorial for them but I got no answer. In any case, a new version is released every month or so. I don't think it would be so much effort to have someone go through those instructions and make sure they work with the newest version.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020