Search Unity

.NET Standard

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Qbit86, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Qbit86

Qbit86

Does Unity adopt .NET Standard?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/articles/standard/library
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2016/09/26/introducing-net-standard/

For example, I'm creating a library with no dependencies targeting `netstandard1.2` in C# 6 (with no `dynamic` and `async`) in Visual Studio 2017 RC (outside the Unity). Can Android, iOS, WSA and other platforms use this assembly? What about `netstandard1.6`, `netstandard2.0`?

Upd. See also: https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/dot-net-standard-compatibility

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  2. Qbit86

Qbit86

3. Qbit86

Qbit86

4. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

For Unity 5.5, we do not support any version of netstandard. The first support for netstandard will come with the Mono runtime upgrade and .NET 4.6 profile support. I would expect Unity to support netstandard 1.6 at this point, although this is still a bit up in the air.

For Unity 5.5, you'll need to stick to .NET 3.5 to be safe.

5. angelkyriako

angelkyriako

@JoshPeterson I have build a class library with .net standard 1.6 and I am having a hard time to import it with Unity 2017.

// library .csproj file
    <Project Sdk="Microsoft.NET.Sdk">

<PropertyGroup>
    <TargetFramework>netstandard1.6</TargetFramework>
    </PropertyGroup>
    </Project>

I get an error in Unity: System.Object is defined in an assembly that is not referenced.

I have tried targeting netstandard1.4 as well, but the problem persists.
    Any ideas if I should I target the .net4.6 framework directly or if there something else I am missing ?

Qbit86 likes this.
  6. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Please target .NET 4.6 when you use Unity 2017.1. We don't have support for any version of .Net Standard in Unity yet. We're working on support for .Net Standard 2.0 (and earlier) versions now. I'm not sure if that will make it into the Unity 2017.2 version, but it is on the way.

zwcloud, Meiblorn, rklausch and 2 others like this.
  7. rklausch

rklausch

@JoshPeterson
    Any news about .NET Standard support? Neither 2017.2 nor all following Beta versions tell anything about it in the version infos....would be cool if we could get a state update about the progress...

Qbit86 likes this.
  8. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Support for .NET Standard did not make it into 2017.2. We are actively working on it, and we actually have it mostly complete. We're working on .csproj generation now, which should be the last step. So we're still optimistic that we can make it into 2017.3 (although support is not in the betas yet), but we may slip to 2018.1.

rklausch and pateras like this.
  9. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

I got a chuckle out of microsoft's description of net standard. Typical "we made a lot of terrible decisions in a hurry, and none of our products work until 2 years later. But we promise this product, which we made in a hurry and is less than a year old, will be different."

Remember when they decided to make a Window's version for tablet and PC at the same time, which everyone except them knew was a terrible idea? Before that they were trying a windows version on cell phones (this was before Android.) That's the stuff net standard is unifying, right?

Their page even mentions Unity3D, I think. It mentions Unity mono, running on 20 platforms (20? really?) as one of the things they want to unify. So somebody at MS might be returning phone calls from Finland.

10. pateras

pateras

Once it's in, will it be mentioned in the patch notes and to use it do we just select it Scripting Runtime Version? Also, what do we gain by targeting Standard 2.0? Future compatibility? Will it be more performant or give us access to something we currently don't have?

11. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Yes, we will mention the new profile support in the release notes. I don't think we will ship support for a new profile in a patch release though. It is a pretty big change, so it will likely ship with a full release. The .NET Standard 2.0 support will only be available with the new scripting runtime, so you will need to select that. You will also need to change the Api Compatibility Level setting to be ".NET Standard 2.0".

The .NET Standard 2.0 profile is much smaller than the .NET 4.6 profile. So you should get smaller build sizes. In addition, we will guarantee that all of the .NET Standard 2.0 API will work on all of our supported platforms. So everything is safe to use.

I don't think is will provide better runtime performance. Also, .NET Standard 2.0 actually has much less in it than .NET 4.6. In addition, is it a proper subset of .NET 4.6, not adding anything. So we won't get anything new.

rakkarage and pateras like this.
  12. Qbit86

Qbit86

Actually, yes. It will give you access to a lot of high-quality libraries written for .NET Standard in Unity-agnostic way. Currently in general you cannot reliably use third party .NET libraries which was created without Unity in mind, because Unity is so hm... special.

rakkarage and dadude123 like this.
  13. rklausch

rklausch

@JoshPeterson thanks for the reply, this sounds very promising!

To make an example: If you want to use high level drivers like the MongoDB .NET driver, it is currentliy not possible to run that build under Linux ( and other operating systems) because this driver is written for native .NET and/or .NET Standard. With Unitys .NET Standard 2.0 compatibility this will get possible over .NET Core which is the first "real" multiplatform SDK for .NET.
    just look here for further informations:
    https://www.microsoft.com/net/core#linuxubuntu

pateras and Qbit86 like this.
  14. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

But would anyone using Unity ever want to use MongoDB in it?

It's a noSQL database. Those aren't good for storing game data - credit card companies use those to quickly guess whether to flag a transaction. And even so, don't you run a database on your server, and have Unity run it through the www class?

15. zorthgo

zorthgo

@Owen-Reynolds You might not want to use MongoDB. But there are a plethora of other libraries that you might find useful and that will now be available to you. In my case, I am eager for this new feature because I will finally be able to write one set of libraries and share them between ALL of the environments I work in. Currently, Unity is the only environment that I have to write custom code for. Now I will be able to write one set of libraries and use them in Asp.Net Core, Xamarin Mobile apps, and Unity. It will be a glorious day when this feature gets released into the wild! :D

16. benzsuankularb

benzsuankularb

@Owen-Reynolds It's not about the database actually.
    I'm working on a multiplayer project and I decided to use share single code on both client and server. Save me more than half time coding, testing and maintain. Thanks .net4.6 introduced in Unity 2017.x.

But if netstandard2.0 supported.
    It will unlock the high performance of .netcore on the server side and left just .net4.6 on Unity.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    rklausch likes this.
  17. benzsuankularb

benzsuankularb

However, It's not on 2017.3 then when... :(

Qbit86 likes this.
  18. ctaggart

ctaggart

Qbit86 likes this.
  19. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Yes! We're going to support .NET Standard 2.0 in Unity 2018.1. We just realized this was not on the public road map! It should appear there soon.

20. BlackPete

BlackPete

Will it still be "experimental"? What's the level of confidence in this?

21. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

In the fist 2018.1 betas it will still be experimental, I suspect. We might be able to remove that designation by the time we get to the 2018.1 release though. Our main criteria for the "experimental" designation in this case is "Does behavior regress from the old scripting run time?" When we can answer that question with a "no", we'll remove the "experimental" designation.

We're looking at three aspects of this now, all assuming you take an existing project and switch the scripting run time version, with no other changes to the project:
    1. Is the behavior the same?
    2. Is the run time performance the same (or better)?
    3. Is the final code size the same (or smaller)?
    We're pretty close now for 1, as we are on track to handle all of the known bugs soon. We're not seeing much performance difference either, so number 3 is the final issue. The base class libraries are significantly bigger in .NET 4.6, so we're working on making the code size smaller. Once that is complete, then we'll likely remove the experimental designation.

So if code size is not a concern for your project, I'm pretty confident in the new run time now. If code size does matter, you may want to hold off on using it in production.

22. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

I'm really looking forward to this, is there any timeline on 2018.1?

I'm looking at building an implementation of OmniGUI for Unity3d, but it requires .net standard.

23. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

It should be out in the next few weeks (but don't quote me on that, these things can slip!). You can find the download here when it is ready: https://unity3d.com/unity/beta

24. Selzier

Selzier

Looking forward to this, just ran into a project where I need .net standard 2.0 :)

25. RPGia

RPGia

I need this as well :( hoping for it soon!

26. andrund

andrund

Anyone managed to get SignalR Core working with Unity 2018.1 Beta? I've set .Net Standard 2.0 in the player settings but still get some issues with some DLLs for the SignalR Core Client. I know everything is still beta, but would be nice to have at least simple messaging working for the moment.

CupWorks, RPGia and Qbit86 like this.
  27. benzsuankularb

benzsuankularb

Anyone here confirmed 2018.1 working with netstandard2.0?

Qbit86 likes this.
  28. andrund

andrund

I tried it and it works for my own .Net Standard Libraries, but when I tried to add SignalR client to Unity3d some DLLs do not compile in the editor

VOTRUBEC, benzsuankularb and Qbit86 like this.
  29. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

I've been trying to get OmniGUI to work without success, the editor throws errors about it causing runtime instability and prevents the load.

30. benzsuankularb

benzsuankularb

My netstandard library also work well. Didn't tried others dependencies

31. markdavies

markdavies

The new SignalR targeting core 2.0 is a complete re-write. see https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/webdev/2017/09/14/announcing-signalr-for-asp-net-core-2-0/. That means the client side libraries for SignalR 2.2.2 will not work in the new SignalR for netcore 2.0 - you'll need to get the new packages. The way signalr works has changed and some features removed too. See that blog for initial details - this is still very early days for the new signalr as is unity 2018.1. We are experimenting but have no plans to commit dev resources until this gets out of beta as we expect things to change.

32. Macro

Macro

I get some weird behaviour when enabling .net standard 2.0 where it just seems to get confused as to if it should be referencing .net standard 2.0 or .net framework assemblies. Just to confirm you can use .net 4.x version with .net 2.0 standard api level?

Existing assets seem to go a bit beserk when I enable the 2.0 standard like Zenject or UniRx but not sure if I have some larger issue going on here. On 2018.1b7

33. ericnondahl

ericnondahl

We're noticing that the .csproj generated by 2018.1b10 still directly references the .NET Framework 4.6 instead of the .net standard 2.0 API level. This seems to cause issues for development on mac where .NET Framework 4.6 is not available. We can manually construct a .csproj that targets .net standard 2.0 and seems to compile the project, but it would be better to rely on the generated project.

Any news on when the .csproj generation will be updated when using .NET Standard 2.0 Api Compatibility Level?

dzmitry-lahoda, flchaux and Qbit86 like this.
  34. milosz-kosobucki-setapp

milosz-kosobucki-setapp

Right now, putting the .net Core SignalR Client library to the project (configured with netstandard2.0 api) causes the following problems:

Unloading broken assembly Assets/Plugins/Microsoft.AspNetCore.SignalR.Client.Core.dll, this assembly can cause crashes in the runtime
    Unloading broken assembly Assets/Plugins/System.Threading.Channels.dll, this assembly can cause crashes in the runtime
    Unloading broken assembly Assets/Plugins/Microsoft.AspNetCore.Sockets.Abstractions.dll, this assembly can cause crashes in the runtime
    Unloading broken assembly Assets/Plugins/Newtonsoft.Json.dll, this assembly can cause crashes in the runtime

Probably looking at why these errors occur would make sense even before there's final version of SignalR Core.

35. ruanjiandong

ruanjiandong

Is dynamic IL code generation supported by IL2CPP for netstandard library? I tried bond.core.csharp netstandard 1.6 library. It works with mono backend, but not with IL2CPP. I used link.xml to force include some stripped types. But I can't get IL2CPP to work with Expression<TDelegate>.Compile API. The bond library uses that API to dynamically generate IL code.

dzmitry-lahoda likes this.
  36. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

.NET 4.6 <> .NET Core. Unity is adopting Netstandard 2.0 support but I think there's some general confusion. Netstandard simply defines the API surface area. .NET Core and full framework are still not entirely the same beast, so importing something built to work with .NET Core is not necessarily going to work, and I wouldn't expect it to.

Qbit86 likes this.
  37. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

IL2CPP is an ahead-of-time compiler, so it does not support any dynamic code generation.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  38. milosz-kosobucki-setapp

milosz-kosobucki-setapp

Hmm, Unity's experimental runtime supports .netstandard2.0, this SignalR Core Client library is marked as targeting .netstandard2.0. Why shouldn't I expect it to work on Unity's runtime then?

39. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Any assembly built against .NET Standard 2.0 should work. If not, can you provide that assembly with a bug report? We would like to know why it does not work.

With that said, it is important to mention that assemblies compiled against .NET Core will not work with Unity. .NET Core uses its down API profile, which Unity does not support.

You can find more details here: https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.1/Documentation/Manual/dotnetProfileSupport.html

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  40. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

If it targets Netstandard and does not have a reference to something like NetCore.App, then it should work. Let me see if I can illustrate this... Microsoft hasn't done a good job of making it clear and there always seems to be some confusion.... so I'll try to simplify.

.NET Framework is the full framework... the "legacy" framework.

.NET Core is a more modular version of .NET Framework but redesigned

NetStandard isn't a framework at all. NetStandard is just a "contract" that defines the set of API's that will be available. NetStandard does not have all of the APIs that are in the full framework, and it does not have all of the APIs that are available in .NET Core. But it does say "anything that supports NetStandard will support this minimum set of APIs".

So, if an assembly purely targets NetStandard 2.0, it means that it will work in any version of .NET Framework or any version of .NET Core that supports that version of NetStandard. However, it is possible for a DLL. So, as long as your assembly only targets NetStandard and does NOT take a dependency on something like NetCore.App, then it'll be fine.

Netstandard.png

JoshPeterson likes this.
  41. Qbit86

Qbit86

Diagram is not precise. .NET Standard is subset of intersection: there are APIs that are available in both .NET Framework and .NET Core but still are not part of .NET Standard, therefore cannot be referenced in library targeting netstandard.

StormMuller likes this.
  42. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

That is true, but at that level it becomes hard to accurately diagram. It wasn't meant to be "precise" but rather to illustrate the point that Netstandard is just a definition of API surface area.

43. flchaux

flchaux

Hello @ericnondahl, can you share with us your .netstandard2.0 project template ?

44. milosz-kosobucki-setapp

milosz-kosobucki-setapp

It cannot have such reference. If it does, it won't restore properly:

log : Installing Microsoft.NETCore.App 2.0.7.
    error: Package Microsoft.NETCore.App 2.0.7 is not compatible with netstandard2.0 (.NETStandard,Version=v2.0). Package Microsoft.NETCore.App 2.0.7 supports:
    error: - netcoreapp (.NETCoreApp,Version=v0.0)
    error: - netcoreapp2.0 (.NETCoreApp,Version=v2.0)
    error: Package 'Microsoft.NETCore.App' is incompatible with 'all' frameworks in project 'C:\Users\milosz.kosobucki\Documents\Projects\TestLib\TestLib.csproj'.

I still don't understand in what situation, a class library that targets .netstandard2.0 fails to run on .netstandard2.0 compliant runtime.

45. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

You're correct, I meant those two things exclusively not in combination. If it targets Netstandard 2.0 then it should run on Netstandard 2.0.

46. milosz-kosobucki-setapp

milosz-kosobucki-setapp

Hey, it turned out that I had some missing dependencies. After I got it straight, SignalR Core started to work in Unity. Yay!

Maybe I'll get to writing some blog post about it.

47. milosz-kosobucki-setapp

milosz-kosobucki-setapp

Update: After updating to SignalR Core RC1 and AspNetCore packages to 2.1rc1 it stopped working. Some inners of ASP Http client are trying to enumarate client certificates. This seems to not be properly implemented in Unity, so I'm getting NotImplementedException:

https://gist.github.com/MiKom/c8df9079fda00586cb88f933664c2f04

The code that connect to SignalR looks like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using Microsoft.AspNetCore.SignalR.Client;
    5. public class SignalRBehaviour : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     async void Start () {
    8.         Debug.Log("Entering SignalR init");
    9.         HubConnection _connection = new HubConnectionBuilder()
    10.          .WithUrl("http://10.117.0.111:5000/chat")
    11.          .Build();
    13.         _connection.On<string, string>("broadcastMessage", (name, message) =>
    14.             Debug.Log($"Message from {name}: {message}")
    15.         );
    16.         Debug.Log("Establishing SignalR connection");
    18.         await _connection.StartAsync();
    19.         await _connection.InvokeAsync("Send", "username", "is now connected");
    20.     }
    21. }
    And here are the full projects:
    Client (Unity):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s8aVzcY7UaYF_V4i3y3dupbjLa8LERk1/view?usp=sharing

Server (adapted from https://github.com/aspnet/SignalR-samples/tree/master/ChatSample):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vYxt5dOYMq8zRc50AAE_GDuWUGtW0JHe/view?usp=sharing

It seems that TLS in HttpClient is not even implemented in Mono, so I won't hold my breath to have it supported here. Too bad.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  48. milosz-kosobucki-setapp

milosz-kosobucki-setapp

49. hannesn

hannesn

I've also been working on this problem. The problem with TLS & the signalR libraries seems to be fixed on the SignalR side with the v1.0 release (it ignores TLS errors on Mono). Unity2018.2 beta release notes promises to fix it as well.

SignalR works well now in the Editor and standalone Windows, but sadly I can't get it to work in UWP. The dependency injection components throws a null-reference exception when it builds the HubConnection. I'm guessing something is being garbage collected at the wrong time. I've seen this happen with Il2CPP method delegates before.
    I've got a sample built in Unity 2018.1 here: https://github.com/hannesne/SignalR_WMR_Sample/tree/dotnetcoredev/SignalRSimpleChatClientDotNetCore
    It's setup to point at a SignalR server that I keep running for debug purposes, so you don't have to worry about the server component. You can also disable the VR component in the UWP player settings, to make debugging easier if you don't have VR stuff.

dzmitry-lahoda and echebkeso like this.
  50. hannesn

hannesn

I've filed a bug-report for this issue. Will update this thread if I learn more about it.

echebkeso likes this.