Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Mono Upgrade NET 6 support

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by Huszky, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Huszky

Huszky

Since yesterday Microsoft announced the first .NET 6 preview it might be time to open this thread.

Announcement:
    https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/announcing-net-6-preview-1/

The biggest thing is that might be good for unity is that the mono runtime will be integrated into .NET and so TFMs will be available for window, android, ios, maccatalyst, macos, tvos.

Do you have any public roadmap for upgrading to .NET 6?
    Do you have any plan on integrating with the standard .NET toolchain? Csproj files not auto generated, can be put under version control, nuget support, etc (this would also mean replacing asmdef?)?
    net6.0-unity as workload please ?https://github.com/dotnet/designs/blob/main/accepted/2020/workloads/workloads.md

Thanks in advance for @JoshPeterson for answering people's obvious questions about it.

strich likes this.
  2. JesOb

JesOb

From Blog:
    We’ve been watching the Xamarin team innovate with the XAML Hot Reload experience over the last couple years and started to imagine enabling hot reload as a general .NET capability, and not just for XAML, but C#/IL. We’re defining a new hot code reload model that we can offer for all app types. It’s likely at least some of this feature will be implemented in the runtime, and we’re committed to doing that with both CoreCLR and Mono. We want to enable a very fast build, and even faster operations for code changes that can skip the build entirely, as a new standard feature of .NET.

Arkade likes this.
  3. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

No, nothing public to report yet. I can say that we are actively working now toward the goal of .NET 5/.NET 6 class library support in Unity. Since .NET 6 will be a long term support release from Microsoft, we will likely target .NET 6 instead of .NET 5 for the first .NET Core-based release of Unity, but that is still uncertain.

This is a bit outside of the area my team supports, so I'm not as sure about these questions. I know there have been some discussions about moving to .csproj files from .asmdef, but I don't think there is any active work here yet. I doubt that Unity will have built-in support for nuget soon.

I don't expect this to happen. From a class library perspective, I think Unity will support .NET FW (probably version 4.8), .NET Standard 2.1, and .NET 5/6 in the future. Although Unity has a pretty large C# API, I don't expect us to try to publish a TFM now. In essence, that means the Unity API would only be available in Unity, and not via nuget, for example. That would still allow parity with the current approach Unity has. So although have a Unity TFM would be interesting, _not_ having one doesn't loose anything.

I'd love to have more details to share, but we're not ready to announce roadmaps publicly at this time.

4. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Yeah, this is a really cool feature, and something that we have experimented with internally as well. It is certainly on our list of things to do.

TextusGames, Oneiros90, gtk2k and 8 others like this.
  5. Kamyker

Kamyker

6. Ramobo

Ramobo

7. Digika

Digika

What made you think so? Was it pointless NET 5 thread that existed for 1+ years and ended up dead?

8. Knil

Knil

9. Ramobo

Ramobo

ModLunar, Anthiese and PutridEx like this.
  10. stevphie123

stevphie123

Man... I was hoping that Unity would move to coreclr completely, years ago... People been complaining how slow mono was and still is even today

11. Bip901

Bip901

.NET 6 was just released. Interestingly, the diagram in the linked article depicts Unity as using .NET 6!

Is it a mistake or has the dream come true?

Qbit86 likes this.
  12. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Leon_NET and Qbit86 like this.
  13. spatialwb

spatialwb

.net 6.0 is the only version that seems to work with VSCode on M1 Macs btw. Opening unity projects with that setup makes omnisharp not work, meaning you don't get any good intellisense

raining_day0513 and KinanGH like this.
  14. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

This might be unrelated to .NET 6 support in Unity itself. Does Omnisharp work in general on M1 macs? Or is this somehow specific to Unity?

15. spatialwb

spatialwb

Omnisharp only seems to work with .NET 6 in VSCode. Unity creates projects that target framework v4.7.1, which does not exist in .NET 6, so vscode (omnisharp) spits out an error like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [fail]: OmniSharp.MSBuild.ProjectLoader
    2.         This project targets .NET version that requires reference assemblies that do not ship with OmniSharp out of the box (e.g. .NET Framework). The most common solution is to make sure Mono is installed on your machine (https://mono-project.com/download/) and that OmniSharp is started with that Mono installation (e.g. "omnisharp.useGlobalMono":"always" in C# Extension for VS Code).
    3. [warn]: OmniSharp.MSBuild.ProjectManager
    4.         Failed to load project file 'XXXX.csproj'.
    If I install .NET 5 on my mac M1, vscode tells me it is not installed (because, from what I can tell, .NET 5 does not support M1)

So unfortunately, it seems like I cannot use VSCode for development on a mac M1. I have to use Visual Studio for Mac instead.

This isn't a unity issue for sure, it's likely a vscode/omnisharp issue, but I posted here to give another reason to support NET 6

raining_day0513 likes this.
  16. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the details - we don't expect to target .NET 6 in Unity soon. We are working on it though - see the link above for some details.

17. Adrian

Adrian

OmniSharp on macOS/Linux uses Mono and contains a bundled version of Mono that is not compatible with Unity. I don't think it matters what version of .Net you have installed.

In the official VSCode documentation on Unity Development with VS Code, it says:
    And in the known issues for OmniSharp-VSCode:
    So make sure you install mono and set useGlobalMono in VSCode to always.

Though I don't have an Apple Silicon machine, so I don't know if there are any specific issues but I've read that it should work with Rosetta.

18. Antares_

Antares_

UP

Qbit86 likes this.
  19. dathemon

dathemon

20. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

21. b_bishop

b_bishop

Bump....

The 2022.2 alpha build 13 has .NET Standard 2.1 support. This means we should be able to create a NET 6 compatible project. Despite the latest Unity build, it's still generating .NET Framework 4.7.1 targeted project files, even though I specify in the player that I want to use NET Standard 2.1.

If the bottleneck is Mono, how do I workaround that to create a VS 2022 Unity project that works with NET 6?

22. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

This is not quite correct. You can create a project that uses .NET Standard 2.1 (although there may be some bug happening here preventing that). But that does not mean the project will have access to .NET 6 APIs. Unity does not yet support .NET 6.

23. raining_day0513

raining_day0513

Is it possible to run Unity with .NET 6 but with Mono as runtime?

Antares_ and b_bishop like this.
  24. b_bishop

b_bishop

That was my impression... They do have a fork of mono that appears to be working towards .NET 6 or CoreCLR integration, but as you can see from my previous posts around here I've failed to gather any instructions on to set it up with the current alpha. I've asked both, is this the mono being used on the current alpha? and, if not what do I need to do to in order use the unity forked mono with the current alpha?

Both questions have been left unanswered, with Josh's blanket statement of 'Unity does not yet support .NET 6', it seems he's not interested in allowing developers to test the alpha NET 6 or CoreCLR integrations yet... Why not is beyond me, considering Stride (aka Xenko) game engine doesn't seem to be struggling at all with this and already have full C# 9 support...

It's been 2 years and Unity is still lagging behind. If it doesn't take shape on the next couple alpha builds then I'm giving up on Unity altogether.

raining_day0513 likes this.
  25. Adrian

Adrian

That's what you'll have to do then.

I don't know where you've got the notion that some support for .Net 6 should already be in Unity. Microsoft won't update mono to support .Net 6 and I don't see why Unity would, since they are moving over to CoreCLR.

.Net 6 support is tied to the switch to CoreCLR, so you'll won't see support before the switch and that'll happen in 2023 at the earliest (Josh mentioned that they didn't make it for 2023.1).

b_bishop likes this.
  26. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Sorry for leaving your questions unanswered, I did not intend to do that.

To be more specific, Unity uses a fork of Mono from https://github.com/mono/mono. This version of Mono is in maintenance mode from Microsoft and does not support .NET 6. We've decided at Unity that the path to .NET 6 support is better done via CoreCLR rather than Mono, so that is the path we are taking.

b_bishop likes this.
  27. Domen_Ptic

Domen_Ptic

Hey @JoshPeterson,
    just want to ask if there are any news on the Unity nuget packege support :)?

28. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Domen_Ptic, Qbit86 and JesOb like this.
  29. najaa3d

najaa3d

Any update on the planned "blog" yet?

30. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies