Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

.Net 5 support

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by Lymdun, Mar 3, 2020.

1. TheZombieKiller

TheZombieKiller

On that note, is it possible to get any confirmation on what the platform defines will be for the newer class libraries and features? I'm currently using NET_STANDARD_2_1 and NET_5_0 pre-emptively throughout my code, but it'd be nice to know in advance if NET_5 is used instead for example, as well as if there'll be a define for default interface implementation support.

2. VolodymyrBS

VolodymyrBS

C# 9 and .NET 5 relation is the same as C# 8 and .NET Standard 2.1. Some features require new BLC types, some require runtime support, but most of the features are just syntax sugar and could be used outside .NET 5.

All C# 9 features could work outside .NET 5 except
    • Init only setters. Require new type
    • Suppress emitting localsinit flag. require new attribute
    • Covariant return. Require runtime support
    P.S. Functional pointers could be used outside .NET 5 but look like il2cpp fail to process assembly that contains it.

pcysl5edgo and TheZombieKiller like this.
  3. TheZombieKiller

TheZombieKiller

There's also the module initializer feature which requires an attribute as well. However, Roslyn will happily allow you to use those features by defining the attributes manually. Unity also has the option of providing an automatically referenced assembly that includes them (which would just be a reference assembly with type forwarders when compiling for .NET 5).

As an example, I currently have this in a project which allows me to use SkipLocalsInit (as long as I use an updated Roslyn that supports it):

Code (CSharp):
    1. // Licensed to the .NET Foundation under one or more agreements.
    2. // The .NET Foundation licenses this file to you under the MIT license.
    4. #if NET_LEGACY || NET_4_6 || NET_STANDARD_2_0 || NET_STANDARD_2_1
    5. namespace System.Runtime.CompilerServices
    6. {
    7.     /// <summary>
    8.     /// Used to indicate to the compiler that the <c>.locals init</c>
    9.     /// flag should not be set in method headers.
    10.     /// </summary>
    11.     /// <remarks>
    12.     /// This attribute is unsafe because it may reveal uninitialized memory to
    13.     /// the application in certain instances (e.g., reading from uninitialized
    14.     /// stackalloc'd memory). If applied to a method directly, the attribute
    15.     /// applies to that method and all nested functions (lambdas, local
    16.     /// functions) below it. If applied to a type or module, it applies to all
    17.     /// methods nested inside. This attribute is intentionally not permitted on
    18.     /// assemblies. Use at the module level instead to apply to multiple type
    19.     /// declarations.
    20.     /// </remarks>
    21.     [AttributeUsage(AttributeTargets.Module
    22.         | AttributeTargets.Class
    23.         | AttributeTargets.Struct
    24.         | AttributeTargets.Interface
    25.         | AttributeTargets.Constructor
    26.         | AttributeTargets.Method
    27.         | AttributeTargets.Property
    28.         | AttributeTargets.Event, Inherited = false)]
    29.     public sealed class SkipLocalsInitAttribute : Attribute
    30.     {
    31.         public SkipLocalsInitAttribute()
    32.         {
    33.         }
    34.     }
    35. }
    36. #else
    37. using System.Runtime.CompilerServices;
    38. [assembly: TypeForwardedTo(typeof(SkipLocalsInitAttribute))]
    39. #endif

pcysl5edgo and VolodymyrBS like this.
  4. VolodymyrBS

VolodymyrBS

Yep, I forgot about module initializer.

BTW type for Init Only setter could be defined manually to. I even try it with unity but looks like il2cpp fail to process property setter with modreq.

I use just this in my .NET Standard 2.0 library (not for Unity) and Init only properties compile without any error
    Code (CSharp):
    2. namespace System.Runtime.CompilerServices
    3. {
    4.     internal static class IsExternalInit {}
    5. }

5. jasonboukheir

jasonboukheir

function pointers is the biggest feature I'm looking forward to with its use in high performance C#. Would be great to be able to use that instead of
    FunctionPointer
    in Burst, since c# function pointers support generics.

6. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, I can't confirm these will be the defines yet. But they do make sense like this.

7. Cinqed

Cinqed

https://www.dotnetconf.net/

.NET 5.0 launches tomorrow. Free online conference for everyone. Starts Tomorrow (November 10, 2020). Maybe Unity will make an appearance? (and no, I'm not expecting "we support .net 5 now" ... but maybe some news??)

:)

8. Kamyker

Kamyker

Well, time to test Unity mono vs il2cpp vs Burst vs Net 5 mono vs Net 5 coreclr.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  9. Ramobo

Ramobo

Spoiler alert: .NET 5 CoreCLR decimates the first two and maybe the fourth, Burst can maybe compete. Unity can't be bothered to make the switch anyway.

10. MagdielM

MagdielM

Can't tell whether you misread or I'm missing the joke ._.

11. Ramobo

Ramobo

I didn't misread. .NET 5 Mono is still Mono, which means that it's probably slower than .NET 5 CoreCLR, hence the "maybe".

12. Kamyker

Kamyker

Yes

https://www.infoq.com/articles/mono-xamarin-webassembly-net5/
    This was half year ago.

It's worth mentioning (I was confused myself) that bigger part of mono is in Net 5 https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/projects/33#card-33949287, https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/pull/1912. More will be added in Net 6.

Ramobo likes this.
  13. JesOb

JesOb

I wish Unity to support .Net 5 at least experimental in Unity 2021 and come to this conclusions:
    - Unity 2021 LTS will be released around march 2022
    - .Net 5 already released and .Net 6 will be released in Nov 2021 around half a year before Unity 2021 LTS
    - .Net 5 dont have support for Android and iOS platform. Their support will come in .Net 6
    - .Net 5 is not LTS and will be supported for 15 months
    - .Net 6 is LTS and will be supported for 3 years

- if Unity want to implement experimental .Net 5 (and future) support into Engine then they already need to start prototype it for Unity 2021 and move to .Net 6 in Unity 2021.2 alpha to ship at least experimental support for .Net 5-6 features and build for PC and Mobile platform.

So question. Do Unity internally have plans to skip .Net 5 and apply .Net 6 as first supported .Net Standart 2.1+ feature compatible platform?

NotaNaN likes this.
  14. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

We don't have plans to announce yet. However, the .NET LTS release support schedule (https://dotnet.microsoft.com/platform/support/policy/dotnet-core) is every similar to the Unity LTS release schedule. So I suspect that longer term, Unity will track .NET LTS releases.

cxode, Tanner555 and comedy_zdy like this.
  15. Thaina

Thaina

By the time unity would support dotnet 5, would unity like to switch from current build system to native dotnet build system? At least for html/wasm platform, I felt the interoperability and efficiency are better than emscripten

Also if we could switch to dotnet build ecosystem in mobile platform, we would have more access to xamarin codebase and library

Is it possible?

goncalo-vasconcelos likes this.
  16. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I think it is possible to switch to .csproj/msbuild in Unity, but we don't have any active plans to do that, and I realistically don't expect it to happen soon.

I'm unclear how this impacts the Web platform though - I don't think anything in the dotnet build system can replace Emscripten, can it? The Blazor work Microsoft is doing is only for C# code, I think. Can you elaborate?

17. Huszky

Huszky

It's not only for C# code. The latest Mono can build for wasm, so you can run arbitrary c# code in the browser see --enable-wasm https://github.com/mono/mono#configuration-options . Also with Mono web assembly interop you can even invoke arbitrary js from the browser https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/mono.webassembly.interop?view=aspnetcore-3.0

Thaina likes this.
  18. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Right, but Emscripten compiles C++ code to Wasm, I don't see how Microsoft's solution will help here (Unity is mostly C++ code in the engine). I guess it would be possible to replace the IL2CPP step with Mono's Wasm implementation, but I don't see Unity switching away from IL2CPP soon, as it is just on all other platforms and Mono's Wasm support does not provide a significant benefit in compile time or run time performance.

19. Huszky

Huszky

Oh, I see what you mean, and yeah for the unity engine code Emscripten seems to be heavily needed.
    But what I don't understand is why Unity continues with IL2CPP. Basically for the foreseeable future if you want to support newer dotnet versions you need to update IL2CPP, which also has it's own limitations. Why not ditch the C++ engine code and rewrite it in C#? I understand that is a HUUUGE undertaking but overall wouldn't it pay for itself? C# now offers a ton of low level optimizations, AOT compiling (I don't know if it would work with iOS but maybe?), and has an overall higher developer productivity than C++. To me it seems that with the time and effort put into IL2CPP and DOTS you could have just as easily rewritten Unity on C#, and do optimizations from there. Heck you could even create your own GC for specific optimizations. With a full C# toolchain you would not need to generate csproj and sln files, and developers could rely on nuget and .net standard project (now .net 5) libraries which would further make devs happier.

I understand that this would produce an unimaginable amount of work for your company, but to me it seems that by ditching the standard dotnet toolchain you gained some momentum ten-something-years-ago but the ecosystem caught on now, and you are just creating problems for yourself (upm instead of nuget? Dots?). Other companies already written pretty good (but really not as popular as Unity) game engines fully in C#. For example NeoAxis, and Stride.

I mean I know it won't happen in the foreseeable future but it would be really damn nice if starting a new unity project would just require:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. dotnet new unity
    2. dotnet run

Qbit86 and NotaNaN like this.
  20. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I don't expect this to happen any time soon. Rewriting Unity as a C# application would be a tremendous effort, and I don't think it is something we will undertake.

With that said, we are exploring the use of CoreCLR as a JIT replacement for Mono, and I would not rule out changes to the Unity build system. But I don't think we will get to the point you have suggested.

21. Thaina

Thaina

I see, that's unfortunate that we have a huge dependency at C++ side. It understandable then but still regrettable

Still I think we might have some option, such as separate most of engine code into wasm library and build our game code with dotnet 5 instead of IL2CPP

All in all I hope unity would improve js interop system so we could call arbitrary js library easier soon

22. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

This is a question I'd like to discuss a bit more, but maybe on a new forum thread? I'm curious about what JS interop .NET 5 has that Unity is missing.

23. pcysl5edgo

pcysl5edgo

What is missing in the interaction of Unity and JS is
    • the lack of modern build systems such as Babel and webpack.
    • .d.ts files (optional)
    There is no official way to control the relationships.

24. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I'm rather unfamiliar with these technologies. I recommend that you bring them up in a different forum thread though. We can get our WebGL team involved and see if there is something we can do here.

25. Thaina

Thaina

Take from Razor is as easy as just this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/blazor/call-javascript-from-dotnet?view=aspnetcore-5.0
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/blazor/call-dotnet-from-javascript?view=aspnetcore-5.0

Don't need to `merge` or any complicate setup. Calling js directly anywhere. Passing reference object around in any direction. JS could call C# method immediately instead of SendMessage. Working with promise and async is seamless

26. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I'll ask our WebGL team about this, thanks!

Tanner555 and Thaina like this.
  27. Thaina

Thaina

Also this https://forum.unity.com/threads/super-fast-javascript-interaction-on-webgl.382734/

Since 2016 we haven't seen improvement around this area. WebGL have been left behind every other platform. We haven't seen any major improvement especially around interop system, which required in complicate web game and webapp to use complex library written in js, majorly 3rd party like firebase and aws

28. gongxun2

gongxun2

Will the new JIT(the CoreCLR or the newer MONO) support ARM64 on Android?

29. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the feedback on JS<->C# interop. I now notice we do not have documentation in our interop page about how to call back to C# from JS code. That is something that has always been available via regular .Net "PInvokable" mechanism that one uses to call C# from C/C++ Unity plugins (general C# docs are at https://www.mono-project.com/docs/advanced/pinvoke/), but we just have not had documentation snippets to explore that.

Some of the techniques that Blazor uses are at odds against enabling stronger minification. We are going towards the route of incorporating Closure Compiler JS minification to Unity web builds, and with that scheme, we cannot utilize any interop that depends on string eval()s or function lookup via unminified names. This means that binding C# to JS should occur statically, which also gives best performance for crossing the language boundary.

Added work items to the board to improve the documentation and to take a look what we can do to improve the interop itself.

30. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

No, we don't plan to support Mono JIT for Android ARM64, as far as I know.

31. EternalClickbait

EternalClickbait

Just wondering, what's the current status of Net 5 in Unity now that it's been officially released?

JaredThirsk and Qbit86 like this.
  32. Thaina

Thaina

When we could expect the documentation, or at least, could you provide some sample and little explanation right here. Because I am currently working on webgl project right now

33. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

We don't have any status update to provide now. We're planning to support .NET 5 or .NET 6, but I don't have an ETA for support yet.

JaredThirsk, NotaNaN and Tanner555 like this.
  34. sergiu_c09

sergiu_c09

I can't undrstand, WHY don't you write all your engine in c++, but maintain all core in c++ and interop via c#? In this case you need to maintain 2 systems aginst 1, WHY do you complicate your life? The core is in c++, the BASE of the engine, so i think the UI can be write very easy in c++, maybe you have it written in c++, and again you have interop it via c#. The c++ is low level language, more powerfull, now it is upgraded every 3 years. WHY don't you give us the oportunity to write games in your engine in C++?
    And then will not be the questions like in this forum, as why .NET 5 is not available in Unity

35. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

This is a larger discussion, which is a bit outside the scope of this thread.

I'm not in a position to make changes like this, and Unity is firmly on the C# path, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

MarekLg, Qbit86 and Alloc like this.
  36. sergiu_c09

sergiu_c09

Ok, then why don't you do as Huszky said earlier: rewrite all engine in C#? If C# is better than C++. And then we will have all modern C# features, as soon as they will come in release, and again, here will not be the question like this )) Why did/do you write core in C++, if Unity is a framework/app based on C#?

And i find it interesting why Unity don't give us oportunity to select between C# / C++, like CryEngine as example do?

In your answer you will understand why we don't have C# 9 and NET. 5 at the moment, and why we can't write in C++, and why Unity are between these 2 tehnologies and why these tehnologies can't be updated to the last features, but we need to wait minium year and more before we will get the last features, wich are allready outdated when they come in the engine, and on the market are other new features more performant, wich we again will need to wait while Unity will impliment them
    As example C# 8 was released in september 2019, but we will get it in Unity 2020.2 wich will be released we dont know when, maybe at the end of this year but more likely next year.
    So let's other people make their impressions, we need your answer to this.

EternalClickbait likes this.
  37. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I think this would take years of effort. We can't stop adding features and supporting new platforms to re-write the engine code all in C#. I feel such a decision would be bad for most of our users.

With that said, more and more Unity engine code is being written and released in packages, which are in C#. I expect that over the next few years, you will see much of the Unity engine code that most projects use be written in C#. So this re-write is kind of happening in the background.

I can't speak to why this was originally done. I do know that many game engines are written in C++, with a different scripting language exposed to users (Lua, Python, etc.). Unity is written this way as well. I think realistically, when Unity was started more than a decade ago C# could not provide the performance necessary to support a game engine. But I wasn't at Unity then, so I'm just speculating.

This comes down to API support. Unity used to support C#, Boo, and UnityScript as scripting languages. Technically, exposure of the Unity via C++ is possible. But we found that supporting more than one script language was very difficult, so we decided to support only one - C#.

I've tried to be as transparent as possible in this thread already. We're working on .NET 5 support on a number of fronts in various stages of development. We are certainly not shipping support for .NET 5 and C# 9 when Microsoft is, but we are planning to support them, and I'll gladly provide details about when support will be ready and what it will look like once we know that information.

MarekLg, SugoiDev, cxode and 4 others like this.
  38. Mindstyler

Mindstyler

I know you want to provide correct and helpful answers, which is very appreciated, but I think you shouldn't be compelled to answer to people that clearly are only ranting, especially when these 'questions' have been answered a few times already.

Nad_B, xVergilx, cxode and 6 others like this.
  39. LCabron

LCabron

Unity can't move to Net5 CoreCLR from Mono because CoreCLR doesn't have any embedding API like Mono have.

CoreCLR provides a host c++ class and a way to call a static function from c++ to c#, that's all.

They are not providing embedding API like Mono, it's a dick move from Microsoft.
    If Unity want to change, they have to create their own embedded API to run Core DLLs based on System.Runtime.dll instead of mscorelib.dll.

Also, Unity use App domains to load and update scripts, you can't create app domains with CoreCLR, CoreFX API, whatever.

40. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

FWIW, I don't agree. Supporting an embedding API like Mono's for a .NET VM is a pretty big task, and this did not fit into Microsoft's plans for CoreCLR. I don't think there was any malice involved. Would it be easier for Unity to use CoreCLR if it implemented Mono's embedding API? Sure! But this is an issue we can overcome.

Duusty, Qbit86, Thaina and 2 others like this.
  41. Thaina

Thaina

To be fair. I know there was many complicate reason and history why unity are stuck with many legacy. Actually it was boiled down to the same old legacy burden problem like everything in our world

But I think the point is, sure it would not be immediately but, I think unity should planning for decoupling its engine system out away from build system. And make it so we could upgrade or exchange the dotnet version freely. We could still have C++ engine and all but it should not interfere with what we building that would get into IL anyway

This should also apply to build tool and platform support. We should not stuck with specific java or android or emscripten sdk version. Every build templates should be pluggable and you should opensource it so we can contribute, fix bug, or make our own

Which so far I think I don't see any plan about this. What I see at least what you talk about in here is only plan on engine system, which is great on its own, but not solving the problem about platform building

Huszky and bdovaz like this.
  42. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

This may be a good idea, but you are correct, we don't have any plans to do this.

I don't believe that this will happen soon, maybe not ever. Unity is tightly coupled to a given .NET version, because it embeds the .NET runtime. Even though the embedded API for Mono is pretty stable, it is not intended to be stable enough for an embedder like Unity to work with multiple pluggable versions of the .NET runtime.

Again this would be nice, but each time we upgrade these platform specific build tools, we find many issues with compatibility that have to be corrected. So it does not seem feasible to allow these tools to be pluggable. I don't know of any plans to support something like this, but these platform specific build tools are not my area of expertise.

43. pcysl5edgo

pcysl5edgo

Unity 2020.2.0b13 includes .NET Core SDK under "Editor/Data/NetCore/" but the included .NET Core SDK version is v2.2.
    .NET Core 2.2 is unsupported now.

How about including .NET 5 sdk as the first step of supporting .NET 5?

NotaNaN, Thaina and JesOb like this.
  44. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

This version of .NET Core is used to run some of the managed tools that Unity uses. It is not used for embedding or anywhere in the Unity player. We may update to .NET 5 if any of the tools that use it require that.

cxode likes this.
  45. tessiof

tessiof

I thought porting C++ to HPC# (C# + Burst) was the consensus at Unity based on this post.

NotaNaN and cxode like this.
  46. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

That is a big part of what is happening currently, but certainly all of the code cannot be re-written in HPC#. Some will remain C#, some will remain C++, I suspect.

NotaNaN and cxode like this.
  47. Imakhiil

Imakhiil

Any updates regarding that research (for Windows in particular)?
    It'd be really nice to have more flexibility with code that needs better performance than can be provided by the current runtime. At the moment, the only options are Burst and native plugins but they're often an overkill.

48. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Sorry, I have no updates to share!

cxode likes this.
  49. Imakhiil

Imakhiil

Got it ^^
    Thank you for your patience answering our constant questions.

ModLunar likes this.
  50. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

No problem at all! I'll share any updates when I can.