Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

NET 2.0 will be removed in a future release.

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by Marc-Saubion, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi.

I can read in the what's new in Unity 2018.3 that the .NET 4.x scripting runtime is now the default. The .NET 2.0 scripting runtime has been deprecated and support for it .NET 2.0 will be removed in a future release.

Could I know more about this? What release and when? I have an important plugin using .net 2.0 and since I'll have to replace it with something compatible with .net 4.x, I'd like to know the deadline so I can schedule and prioritize that job properly.

Thanks

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

2018.3 is deprecating .2.0. Removal will probably happen around 2019.x. Not sure if it will affect plugins anyhow though.

Check if plugin works under .Net .4.x. It should in theory as .Net is backward compatible, unless doing some really weird stuff.

3. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Thanks for your awnser @VergilUa.

I think it works, I'll have to check with the associated hardware to be sure but I didn't have compiling errors this time.

I had to change the Api compatibility level from the default ".NET standard 2.0" to ".NET 4.x". I guess this is what you advised me. Anyway, thanks for your help, I would have missed it if I didn't give it an other shot.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Why is that? Net standard 2.0 is smaller/quicker to build etc...

5. Baste

Baste

.Net 2.0 isn't the same as .Net standard 2.0.

Because Microsoft.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

it's just I'm confused it's mentioned as I thought 3.5 was the depreciated element...

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

.NET Standard 2.0 isn't going anywhere. It's .NET 2.0 API compatibility level that's going away.

xVergilx and hippocoder like this.
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah that's what I thought... much confusion from