Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Nested Unity installation not working after updating Hub

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Estecka, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Estecka

Estecka

I just updated Unity Hub to 0.18.1, and from then, one of my installation of Unity couldn't be started anymore, while the others work properly. (I suspect this specifc version got messed up because its installation path is nested within Hub's own installation path. See below.)
    I don't even get to see the splash screen or the project selection window. I get an error message saying :
    Try again and Force Quit both just brings the message back again.

I tried looking for the missing file by myself: The package folder didn't exist in the Resources Folder; In fact, the Resource folder was almost absolutely empty.
    Comparing the installation folder with other installations of Unity, there were a lot of missing files about everywhere.

♦ Unity Hub
    Installation path : C:\My Program Files\Unity Hub\Unity Hub.exe

♦ Unity 2017.4.6f1 (not working)
    Installed with hub.
    Installation path : C:\My Program Files\Unity Hub\Editor\2017.4.6f1\Editor\Unity.exe
    (In the futur I withed to install all versions of Unity in a similar folder.)

♦ Unity 2017.4.3f1
    Installed with hub.
    Installation path : C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2017.4.3f1\Editor\Unity.exe

♦ Unity 2017.1.0f3
    Installed before Hub. Marked as Preferred in hub.
    Installation path : C:\My Program Files\Unity 2017.1.0f3\Editor\Unity.exe

♦ Unity 5.6.0f3
    Installed before Hub.
    Installation path : C:\My Program Files\Unity 5.6.0f3\Editor\Unity.exe

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  2. Estecka

Estecka

So, I was going to simply re-install this version, but...
    Uninstalling from Window's Control Panel doesn't work, (Uninstall.exe is one of the missing files, so no surprise), and I can't remove it from Hub's listing. ("Remove from list" does nothing, and the vesion still shows in Hub even if I completely remove the installation's folder.)

3. Estecka

Estecka

So yes, I could use some help clearing this Unity install out of Hub please.

What about Unity breaking int the first place? Is this a bug? Or a situation you don't plan to support? In the later case, will you maybe put warning and restriction in Hub so that it can't install Unity versions in this location ?
    Any reply would be higly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  4. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @Estecka ,
    Sorry for the late reply, and sorry for the inconvenience.
    You mentioned you removed the installation folder and yet the Editor remain on your list, do you mean the following:
    C:\My Program Files\Unity Hub\Editor\2017.4.6f1
    In general case, renaming the folder will also remove the Editor from your list.
    Make sure to quit Unity Hub using the tray menu, to properly restart the Hub.

You mentioned that the uninstall is missing from the version. May I ask if you installed the version with the Hub? In normal case, only "located" Editor version have the option to "Remove from list", where as directly installed version will display "Uninstall" instead.

Once again, sorry for the inconvenience. I hope this info would help.

Joe

5. Estecka

Estecka

Yes, this is the folder in question.
    I just tried _renaming_ the folder as you suggested, and this time the install is gone from Hub's listing. Thank you!
    (After I first deleted it and saw it didn't work, I restored it in case it could still contain something useful. I was sure I tried restarting Hub completely, but I could still have done something wrong. )

Yes, this is a version of Unity I did install using Hub. But considering how very many files seemed to be missing after Hub updated, I wouldn't be surprised it didn't find what it expected and just assume this install was "Located".

In the meantime I had also installed 2017.4.7f1 in a nested folder, next time Hub updates we'll see if this version breaks as well.
    Edit: Also going to install 2018 in a non-nested folder to see.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    joeksy likes this.
  6. Estecka

Estecka

Updated Hub again tonight (0.20.1). As expected, the installs of Unity that were nested within Hub's directory no longer worked, so, definitely not a good idea to install unity inside Hub's own directory, not gonna do it again.
    (This time the entire installation folder was deleted, and I had no issue reinstalling them.)

However Hub still allows installing Unity within its own directory. Will you put up a warning for this? Or completely forbid it ?

7. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

This is indeed an issue. We will try to detect this in the future and prevent users from nesting the Unity editor install location inside the Hub's. Thank you for flagging this and try not to do such nesting for now. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Estecka likes this.