Search Unity

Nested Prefab Suggestions

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by chase-cc, Oct 25, 2018.

1. chase-cc

chase-cc

1. A keyboard shortcut to drill into a prefab you have selected in the Hierarchy would be nice. having to click tiny buttons all the time is annoying on a trackpad. Could either be something like 'press this hotkey' to open the selected prefab or maybe just open it on 'alt+click'
    2. When you drill into a prefab that's in the hierarchy, it would be great if you could choose to modify it 'in place' vs. going to the secluded prefab view. When dealing with nested prefabs, I often want to see what the child looks like relative to its parent, but you lose that ability in the secluded prefab view. maybe you're supposed to mess around with the child in the parent's view, and somehow apply the changes to the child? I need to experiment more with this I guess.
    3. When selecting a prefab in the Project Panel, the inspector should show the serialized components on that object. Perhaps just greyed out if there's some technical reason they can't be edited. it's really annoying to have to drill into each one to see what the object actually 'is'.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  2. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

1. left/right arrow keys expand and collapse the hierarchy, up down to traverse.
    2. there is a bug that does funky stuff when reparenting but, once this is fixed, in-hierarchy editing will be similar to old prefab, well, minus being unable to re-root the prefab...
    I think they eventually will make it work like this

MadeFromPolygons likes this.