Search Unity

Nerd

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Charles Hinshaw, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

Ok, so this is the first thing that I have modeled, textured, rigged, animated and put in Unity. And really, beyond simple test models while learning software, it is the first thing that I've really tried to complete when it comes to 3D. I spent yesterday afternoon and part of this morning on it. When it is all said and done, it ends up being ~5500 poly in Unity and uses 4 materials (one for hair, one for skin, one for transparent glasses and one for clothes.) Skin and hair use modified skin shaders from the wiki. Clothes are diffuse. The plane he is standing on uses a modified mirror. There are a lot of things that I would have done differently, but things seemed to go pretty smoothly.

Oh, and I should qualify that he was originally going to be a safari guy but he kept getting nerdier and nerdier as I kept modeling, so when I got to the face I decided to change directions. As for why I'm just now getting around do creating my own content in Unity -- I used the Modo trial initially to learn to model, but when it expired, I decided to switch gears and just focus on scripting (since I no longer had any 3D software). I finally decided to buy Cheetah a little while ago, and just yesterday had time to use it for the first time.

Attached Files:

2. Alec

Alec

WHERE DID YOU FIND THOSE REFERENCE PICTURES OF ME?!?!?!?

jks I don't look like that, nice work!

3. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Pretty cute.

I remember getting a haircut just like that when I was a kid.
    put a big bowl on the head and cut excess hair, lines up properly :)

Ray

4. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

Yeah, bowl cuts were really common when I was in late elementary / middle school.

5. dock

dock

Congratulations on finishing the character! Getting something finished, with rigging and animation, is quite a step forward! (I often put off the rigging and animation part for as long as possible!! ^_^)

6. Jessy

Jessy

Absolutely poindexterous, Charles!

I am totally avoiding that stuff for the time being (although I have done it in Maya and Blender). I'm waiting for it to happen in modo, so that it might actually be fun and visually appealing. Finished products are what other people can enjoy, but I want to enjoy the whole process, or I don't want to do it.

7. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

Agreed. Whenever I try to model something, I try to rig first, model, then put off animation for as long as possible. I do not like animating. I can do it, but I don't like it. Actually, I don't much care for modeling either. I'm just no good at it.

8. Jessy

Jessy

That's a very negative attitude. Modeling is a very difficult and time-consuming process. It's not something that anyone is likely to be exceptional at without a lot of tutoring from other people sinking into their brains. I can't imagine that modeling in its current form will exist all that far into the future, because it is so clunky and non-realistic. Creating the shell of objects based on connected vertices is not a friendly method in almost all cases, from a user experience point of view. It's just all that computers could handle in the early days of this field, and modern machines still have problems keeping up with high poly counts.

Anyway, some things in this world are hard. It's not your fault. Keep at it, seek out information to help you learn, and realize that you can make important contributions, even if there are people who are more skilled than you out there.

9. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

No, I don't think you understand. See, peoples brains are built differently, and they way they think varies from person to person. Some people use the left side of their brain more, and others use the right side more. Now, the two sides or your brain work differenty. One side is more oriented toward artistic talents: art(obviously) and music and 3D modeling and such. Very creative and original. The other is more oriented towards logic and analytical thought: problem-solving, game design, programming. Very creative and original, in their own right. I've always been a programmer, a problem-solver. It's the way I am and I love it.

Now, I agree, anyone can learn to model. But I'm just better suited toward programming. I don't mind, as programming can be a very enjoyable pastime. My comment may have had a negative note, but it does not reflect my attitude. I don't mind lacking the skills to model, and I'm sure there are modelers who don't mind lacking the skills to program.

I'm not being fatalistic and saying "that's the way you are and there's nothing you can do about it". You can learn to program, and I can learn to model, but I'm just better suited toward programming.

Also, the fact that I've only ever used Blender for any real work may have something to do with it. I haven't tried these other programs like Cheetah and Maya and 3DStudio. So it could be the lack of proper tools that's inhibiting me. I don't know. Speaking of which, I'm going to check out Cheetah right now.

I hope that was understandable - I have the tendency to speak my own private language sometimes. :p

10. Ayce

Ayce

I'm the opposite of you Dragon Rider. I took 2 years of art in HS, was a Sheet Metal worker for many years, played Bass in several bands for some time, and love 3d Modeling and creating textures. Not great at it, but I'm learning.
    On the other hand, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around scripting, even though I took a course in PC programming.
    Never was great at math or other logical problems, so it's a lot of "guess (that didn't) work" :D So, I design the layouts and buildings, and let the programmers do the rest.

11. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

How does that explain me? I appear to be good at the artistic and programming sides.

The brain arguments are nice for a general view, but anyone can learn either side with some effort.

12. Ayce

Ayce

True enough. I'm just better at modeling and other artistics than scripting atm.

13. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

Apparently, you use both sides (roughly) equally. So, if you wanted, you could be a one-man dev team! Cool! :)

Technically anyone could be a one-man team, but it helps if you're comfortable with both aspects ( programming and asset creation ).

It's actually a great idea, as it allows you to be flexible. If someone needs a programmer, then they can hire to to program, if they need a modeler, then you can be their modeler.