Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Other Needed: IDE like tools for the editor.

Discussion in '2023.2 Beta' started by laurentlavigne, May 9, 2023.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

It's common place to see scenes and prefabs turn into a spaghetti mess of cross reference so IDE-like tools are needed:
    1. project object > find references
    2. scene instance>find references
    3. graph overlay showing all references
    Since this alpha is still not feature locked, I hope to see more work in that direction - ergonomic is important.

Peter77 and mahdi_jeddi like this.
  2. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

We use a script to find the references in the project, very useful but very slow. I would love to see something better based on Search API.

Deleted User likes this.
  3. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

seems like jetbrains riderflow is an example worth mentioning for these kind of workflow problems and solutions? improved search and refactoring for scenes and prefabs, the "quick" code editor. ideally these features would be natively integrated into the unity editor.

https://www.jetbrains.com/riderflow/

it's difficult enough to craft our own editor and hotkey macro scripts that effortlessly install our teams "essential" packages / tools everytime they create a new project or touch an older one.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  4. Onigiri

Onigiri

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I remember testing that 2 years ago. The dep graph is new, smells of beta but that'll help. Thx @Onigiri
    @landonth you're using riderflow? Scene refactoring seems well made. UnityEvent ref is welcome, I use ultEvent so no cookie for me.

6. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

@laurentlavigne i just started using riderflow, so i can't give a proper review yet. but looking forward!