Search Unity

1. We would like to hear your feedback about Unity and our products. Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Need to design a game as a student project?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by spinnerbox, Jun 12, 2019.

1. spinnerbox

spinnerbox

Hello. I need to design and develop a game as a student project. I plan to use Unity 3D assets, even pay if necessary.

My original idea was, one person has his weapons and abilities. As he goes trough the game he fights bosses and becomes more powerful after each fight. Even getting better weapons and shields.
    Yes it souns like RPG game, but he should be walking only forward, no isometric stuff in the design.

Something like Epic battle fantasy 1, 2, 3, 4.
    Is this design a classic RPG or is it more like 2D hack and slash ?

What sort of assets can you recommend me to use for this type of game. (Paying assets as well.)

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

None. At least at first. Use gray cubes and capsules for art, and write your own simple scripts. If you aren't comfortable text-based scripting, the one exception to my advice is to use a visual scripting asset like PlayMaker.

You're being graded on designing a game, not on how many assets you're willing to buy. You'll be able to get to the heart of the game much faster, and learn much more, without the distraction of third party assets.

SparrowsNest, spinnerbox and Vryken like this.
  3. Volcanicus

Volcanicus

Fyi, if it is your first project, do not go into this level of complexity.
    Break your game in parts and see how to make it happen. Since it is a student project, do not buy assets yet. You can do everything with cubes and capsules.
    Make sure you understand the engine also.

What you are describing is very broad in terms of design but very narrow in application. Test around and see what you can do first, not what you want to do.

Antypodish and spinnerbox like this.
  4. Volcanicus

Volcanicus

Watch this video that details very well how to look at designing a game from a top-down perspective:

Basically he plans the game and then breaks it into parts and deals with each part.

frosted and spinnerbox like this.
  5. spinnerbox

spinnerbox

Hmm, preparing for another exam, but thanks for the nice discussion and advice. I would have went into unknown universe without any guidance. Will get back to this soon.

6. kdgalla

kdgalla

As for using assets, I think one concern that you might have is that you don't want to muddy the water as to what work that your instructor can credit to you and what work is someone else's. You don't want to make it difficult for the instructor to evaluate which parts of the project that you actually did, because I imagine that might affect your grade.

If, for example, your teacher is grading you on programming only, and you only use graphics from the store, that should be fine, but you want to make it cut-and-dry.

spinnerbox likes this.
  7. spinnerbox

spinnerbox

Thanks for noting that. I forgot totally about that. Yes I can use third party graphics(free to use of course), but the thing is, i should design the game myself, meaning, how the game works must be my product.

I also went trough talk with illustrators, but its just not worth spending so much money on a student project, which also might be catastrofic failure.