Search Unity

need some instruction about a 2D game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by unity_ES9RfOfh5e4wxA, Feb 14, 2020.

1. unity_ES9RfOfh5e4wxA

unity_ES9RfOfh5e4wxA

Hello,

I want to make a science experiment lab game for kids, where they can chose from different tools and materials and make experiment which success or fail depends on the tools they choose.

but the problem for me now is that I don't know where to begin since every experiment will be different from one and other. I don't know should I code every experiment on it's own or make a Game manager that handles all experiments or what?

and also should I use colliders to manage experiments or positions.
    example for collider : when water collides with something it should turn into some thing
    example for position : when water position equals to something's position then something happens.

If you could point me to some tutorials that would be amazing. Thank you :)

example of the game ^^

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

There are tons of tutorials under Learn at the top of this page. You won't find a tutorial exactly like what you want to build. You'll need to build up your own skills first.

3. unity_ES9RfOfh5e4wxA

unity_ES9RfOfh5e4wxA

thanks for your responding, I appreciate that what about using colliders or position? what do you suggest?

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I don't really understand the question. All I can give is very general advice, like use whatever seems easiest to you for the behavior you want to achieve.

unity_ES9RfOfh5e4wxA likes this.
  5. diXime

diXime

Hello,
    first of all, if this is your work, it is actually gorgeous for a first game.
    working with fluids is never trivial, but there is a polygon collider that may follow the fluid, but as JoeStrout said, to make it functional and optimal requires some skills.
    For you chemistry lab, I may be influenced by my previous works with databases, but I would make a table of products and make an "interaction" inner join to specify the types of reactions.
    (not a chemistry professional, but some weird background)
    for example, [Elemental Potassium => Water] makes potassium take fire.

Maybe a good idea to start with is to classify:
    - Compounds (molecules, elements...)
    - States (solid/liquid/gas)
    Each compound having a state...
    Working with classes in c#

Then, checking collisions and fetching the database for what to do?
    You can work with databases in Unity using Json and XML (maybe SQL? Never tried it, but would be SO awesome, especially for inner joins). Not sure of which is the fastest, personally I would chrono-test it to see which is better in your use case. JSON is really easy to use in unity, especially if you're doing a class just for it.

Chemistry is rather vast if I remember my courses, making a program working it all out is really non trivial. You'll need patience and a lot of google searches.

JoeStrout likes this.