Search Unity

Need small ready terrain to start with

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by adampzb, Dec 16, 2017.

1. adampzb

adampzb

Hello, pretty new in game dev, im trying to learn coding in c# and how to work with unity, few weeks ago i bought some Udemy courses, learned some basics like how to work with unity ui system, basic c# coding etc. but i will like to have my won 3d project in same time to try things out after learning from courses, like i can experiment with things that i learned because i feel like this games that we making in course are not much interesting for me and and that not making me want to come back again, i also dont want to lose time now for learning how to build map from scratch, shaders etc because im still in beginning of everything else. So basically i want to ask maybe somebody have some small basic ready map/terrain (hills, trees, 1 building) that i can import to my project and play around with it, try to write scripts there and look how things works?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You don't have to learn about shaders etc. to make a terrain. It's literally a few seconds — add a Terrain object to your scene, and technically you're done. If you want you can sculpt and paint it a bit; this too is easy and fun, and requires no complex tools. Then add a tree (or many trees) — also built into the terrain editor, and trivial to do.

For a building, search the Asset Store for something you like; there are plenty of free options, or you can spend a little for something fancier. Plop it into your scene, and there you go.

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. adampzb

adampzb

Maybe for u its simple but believe me i try to do it many times, that not only "add a terrain", because there is also water, sky boxes, textures, objects etc. all i want is "playable" scene to get more deep into learning c# in 3d, not to build my own game straight away. even now after your post i try it again but still, after importing environment asset i get 5 errors in console straight away which idk how to fix, i cant find nowhere how to apply model to character controller, cant find any tutorial about it in unity 5, everything is outdated, after placing building downloaded from asset store my character controller not colliding with it, i can walk trough the textures etc...

4. methos5k

methos5k

I don't disagree that a lot of the terrain is easy to use, but in your follow up post, when you talked about sky boxes, and water, etc.. It's not necessarily "hard", but it does take more time; either to make it, or to find it & add it.
    As you are just learning, for sure it feels slow and uneventful, but it should be very helpful for you going forward. I'd suggest that you keep learning, and if you get a simple terrain made, look for a free skybox on the asset store and add it. It doesn't have to be perfect, but if you're looking for that more "completed" look, go for it (I've done this a few times). :)

Not everything is going to be that easy, but as you add each piece and practice more, things will become more familiar and your project and experience will grow.
    I've never done Udemy courses, but I know for certain that not all tutorials are "stellar games". :) They are, however, almost always useful for something. Maybe it's one thing or 2, 3, 4, 5 different new things that you learn. Now, in that game, maybe it's just whatever/okay -- but what you could use it for later, is the real lesson, I think (if that makes sense). :)

Summed up.. keep going.. and have fun ;) many/most things become a lot easier with time!

5. verybinary

verybinary

Best terrain available is a plane
    It's in GameObject > 3d or something similar
    write scripts, and check out how the game handles
    When your ready for actual terrain, start playing with Unitys terrain creator, or import a world made with a modeling program, but until then, a plane scaled up to 5 or 10 works great to flesh out the game mechanics.

JoeStrout likes this.
  6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Well that's a lot more than you were asking for before. Water really _is_ quite hard, and also of course completely unnecessary for your purposes, unless there's more you're not telling us.

Same for skyboxes — Unity has a simple sky gradient in the scene by default that will serve just fine.

And as for objects, I already suggested finding some houses etc. you like in the Asset Store.

Or, as @verybinary suggests, plop a Plane and a couple of Cubes in your scene, and get on with your coding — that is indeed exactly what I usually use when I'm experimenting.

What errors? Please post a screen shot.

I've only used the built-in character controller once or twice. It's fairly advanced stuff anyway; you shouldn't be messing with it until you've spent a month or two carefully working through tutorials to learn the basics.

Where are you looking? The material at http://unity3d.com/learn/ is curated by Unity staff and should be pretty up to date.

Well yes, handling collisions is again a more advanced topic, but after you've done the physics tutorials, you should know enough to sort that out.

My only gripe with the Unity tutorials is that they tend to introduce physics too early, and rely on it too much. Most of my games don't use the physics engine at all, as I always find myself wrestling with it to try to get it to do what I want. Much easier, for me, to just program the behavior I want in most cases.

You seem to have a very specific sort of game in mind (involving buildings and character controllers) that you want to make. That's fine, but it will take you longer to get there if you stay laser-focused on that and ignore everything you think does not apply, because most of that other stuff does apply, and you need to learn it. So just go to http://unity3d.com/learn/ and begin at the beginning, and work your way through the tutorials (which means actually doing them, not just watching them). You'll soon get up to speed that way.

7. adampzb

adampzb

I dont have any specific game in mind, i just want to jump into something in 3d after course, try some easy things like phycis, its for me a lot more interesting to do something like that in 3d, experiment with different numbers and setups, than watching how ball bouncing in paddle to same heigh trough few hours of course, but ok i wont ask anymore u can close that thread.

in the end i just upload img with errors from console.