Search Unity

Need Raycast to interact with World Space Canvas UI

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by Draconikard, May 2, 2020.

1. Draconikard

Draconikard

I am making a co-op game where one of the players needs to interact with computer screens. I have a computer monitor with a World Space Canvas on top of the screen, and I have a sprite on top of that that casts a ray towards the computer screen.

I need a new input module so that the ray can interact with the buttons on the UI, but I am fairly new to Unity and have no idea where to even start. All the tutorials I have looked up include half-baked explanations by YouTubers with extremely thick accents and none of them really explain what they are doing and how I could implement this into my own game. I have been trying to solve this singular problem for months now and I am just about to give up and do something else. ANY help will be extremely appreciated.

2. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

This forum is for UI Toolkit, also known as UIElements, which uses UXML/USS files to construct and style the interface, but it sounds like your issue is for UGUI (Unity UI), which uses GameObjects/Components/Canvasses. I know that "you're posting in the wrong forum" is probably not going to be a welcome response since you seem frustrated, but there it is =(. They'll probably have an easier time helping you over there.

There are three UI systems used natively in Unity, so if any of the confusion/frustration is stemming from that, I highly recommend reading up on them, and their differences.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    jhocking and Draconikard like this.