Search Unity

Need Oculus GO/android build help

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by virtuallabuiowa, May 30, 2018.

1. virtuallabuiowa

virtuallabuiowa

Sorry if this has been posted and answered before. If it has, just point me to it please. I have created a sim in Unity 2018 and cannot for the life of me get it to run at a decent resolution on the Oculus GO. I also don't have a great deal of experience building for Android systems but there really aren't that many options to try in the player settings. I would have thought that I should've stumbled upon an answer by now. I've tried bumping the resolution scaling up to max, I've tried different APIs, I've even tried changing Unity quality settings. The weird thing is that none of it makes a difference good or bad. I'm creating my builds and side loading them using adb. If anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear it.

2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

In general, start with the android performance guides and if still not good enough then also apply the VR guides. Mobile performance is WAY different than PC so you really have to strip things down if this was originally geared towards PC. What is your current FPS on device?

3. virtuallabuiowa

virtuallabuiowa

I'm getting a decent frame rate 50-60 fps, but like I said, no matter what I do I can't change the jaggies. I cant even slow the sim to a crawl. I be happy if I could do that as it might give me a direction. I totally expected major slow down when I cranked the resolution scaling to max. Nope, 50-60 and jaggies galore. It just feels like its gotta be a setting somewhere. I mean, I can go back through it and delete even more but that's not really going to fix the blockyness. still seems like its down sampling. I also don't think everyone is having this problem, or you'd hear more about it. That is if it's not an easy fix that an experienced Android dev could fix quickly.

4. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I see now, your not that far off from how much is in your scene if the lowest you get is 50fps, just some minor tweaking should get you hitting 60fps all the time.

For aliasing issues the Oculus plugin likes to try and disable AA and the last time I checked the quality settings had no effect (might be fixed by now don't know). Try adding the following somewhere in your project to see if it helps.

QualitySettings.antiAliasing = 2;

If it's actually honored, I'd expect the FPS to drop but the aliasing to be much better.