Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for insight from anyone who has experience with game testing to help us better Unity. Take our survey here. If chosen to participate you'll be entered into a sweepstake to win an Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by PhatBoyStudios, Feb 9, 2019.

1. PhatBoyStudios

PhatBoyStudios

I want to make a food ordering app for my friend's store. I want to create my own server not pay monthly for a server. I don't know how to set up networking to receive orders. The unity documentation has not been helpful. Are there any better sources to learn networking in unity? How would I go about getting orders from other people's phones?

Edit: I just want to get orders no other data and not host the app itself.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

• You need learn about Unity basics in Learn section.
    • Then you need expand this knowledge, to build core of an app.

• Then you need learn basics about hosting.
    • Then you need learn about pros and cons of free hosting.
    • Then you need learn about safety and security, in terms of sending / receiving and storing personal data.
    • Then you need learn about communicating methods between unity and server (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityWebRequest.html)

• Then not less important, is to learn, how to promote / market the app itself.

And probably few more points, which I have missed out.

However, order is rather suggestive than strict.

PhatBoyStudios likes this.
  3. PhatBoyStudios

PhatBoyStudios

Thank you. I will immediately start to learn about Unity basics.

4. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

That's a lot of learning ahead, and I think a few hard knockbacks along the way.

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The networking in the Unity documentation is for the deprecated Unet implementation. Don't use it unless you have a very good reason to start a new project with it, as it will be removed from the engine later this year. It also isn't really for taking orders.

As far as taking orders, which I assume means some kind of purchasing, you would normally use the API for the marketplace platform, not a network library. So the Google Play Store or Apple App Store in this case. There is also an asset from Unity (called IAP for In App Purchases or something along those lines) that is supposed to take care of handling the platform API's for those two market places, so I'd try to find the documentation for that first. Again though, that is not a networking library.