Search Unity

Need help with UI design

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by BoofyWorks3, Feb 8, 2018.

1. BoofyWorks3

BoofyWorks3

Hey everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, if not can a moderator please move it.

So I've got this app that I've spent about a year on so far, and everything looks and works great!
    Except for the UI/UX!
    So my question is can anyone help me design something that fits?
    I can't guarantee any payment but if the app is successful there's a good chance that you'll get at least $30

Thanks a lot to anyone who replys!

2. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

sure, what kind of app is it? you got a screenshot of what it looks like?

BoofyWorks3 likes this.
  3. BoofyWorks3

BoofyWorks3

Ok So the overall style of the game is kinda funky/disco, kinda like the rayman 3 funkyboard level (If you don't know what that is just google "rayman 3 funkyboard").

Ok anyways here are some screenshots

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 10.34.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 10.35.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 10.35.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 10.35.15 PM.png

Thanks for the help!

4. BoofyWorks3

BoofyWorks3

Oh and I forgot one thing, the UI is mainly for the shop, level selection menu, in-app purchase menu, and main menu.

Thanks again.

5. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

I found this
    eh, I decided not to clutter up your post with a vid

but sweet, looks like the kind of game my kid obsesses on, Hatsune Miko and stuff (music rhythm type), but I see some special effects, a moving ball, what looks like a spinner that can influence my ball... I'm guessing that's the Player's ball... and you are looking (as far as interface) for how the player can influence the ball, without loading up a lot of controls and stuff on the screen....

looking at the Rayman vid, it seems the player has 3 "verbs", Left, Right and Jump, maybe there's more... but If your game has the same verbs, and it looks like it's designed for a mobile device, I would suggest the following.

keep controls simple as possible, but also fun (yeah, that's easy)... I would make the entire left and right side edges of the screen your controls.... Influence the ball to Drift slightly to the left by placing your finger on the upper left side of the phone/mobile, and Drift or Turn more and more by sliding a finger more towards the bottom of the screen... lets the player put some "English" on the ball, makes the spinners more fun... so same for the right side.. and I'd have a 3rd verb, Jump/Dodge/Shimmy by having the player tap the screen?

6. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

Ahh... shop... main menu, that stuff.. hmmm... I'll have a think

7. BoofyWorks3

BoofyWorks3

Sounds good! but I already have the gameplay, the player swipes to add a platform to bounce the ball, the ball can spin as well, you get "Streaks" by moving up over a certain speed, the "Streak" ends when you stop moving up, and you get a boost depending on the length of the streak. If you would like to see a video of the game I can post one but where I really need help is the main menu and the shop.

here is a screenshot of the shop.

The black rectangles are placeholders for UI Elements, each one is a scroll rect.
    You select item by tapping on them, the text describes the item and the image in the upper right displays the selected item. There will be button underneath the image for purchasing the selected item.
    Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 11.02.27 PM.png

Basically I need it completely re-done, only in a way that looks good.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  8. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

here are my thoughts... keep it colourful.. the action screenshots look nice, like a lot of things are happening and there are fun shapes everywhere, and speed and sound... but then the menu does look like it doesn't fit in.. I'd like to see some curves and stuff happening in the background like in the action shots.

ok, curves and movement, this is what they taught us in art school, the viewer's eye moves across the screen, you gotta direct their eye to where you want them to go, which is to that "buy" button. so, use curves, arrows (if you have to), animations and stuff like what's happening in the backgrounds (I like the kalideoscope and other shapes and colours) to direct the players attention to the bright shiney "buy" or power-up button, or whatever you want them to be looking at.

I hate to admit, I'm using a 20 year old version of Photoshop at the moment, so I MENT to use some warp techniques, only to realize Photoshop didn't do that back in 1997... so, just pretend those are nice smooth curves (and if you use curves, you gotta have that hero-ball rolling down them every now and then.. )

that image is not very good, I really wanted to warp those buttons into a nice curve...

Attached Files:

9. BoofyWorks3

BoofyWorks3

Ok cool! I was thinking colorful but I'm not completely sure what colors to use and where to use them.

Also I like the idea of a curvy UI design!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  10. BoofyWorks3

BoofyWorks3

Which do you think looks better.

Scroll wheels like this?
    1.png

Or like this.

2.png

11. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

ooh, I like the top one a lot, the circles what look like the share the same origin... but.. the 2nd one also seems nice and would cool with some of the side details like the grassy spikes and little bit of the kolliadioscope effects... but very very nice. fun and "jovial" looking... a lot less "grim" than the placeholder

12. BoofyWorks3

BoofyWorks3

Alright Thanks man!

13. BoofyWorks3

BoofyWorks3

Ok this is what me and my brother have come up with so far

Screeny.png

You use the buttons in the sides to scroll through and the tabs to switch categories. You can't see it here but the spiral in the background slowly spins around the "BUY!" Button.

Ignore the upper left corner thats where I put things I need to get rid of, in place of that will be a back button.

14. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

oh that's nice, makes me want to press buttons.. also fun jovial font

15. verybinary

verybinary

Just so you know, I didn't read some of the replies, so sorry if this has been touched before. Your canvas seems to be constant pixel size. try switching to "relative to screen size"(or something close to that, not sure what the actual words are, I'm on autopilot most of the time)
    That should fix it.

edit: I only read the op and looked at the first screenshot.
    you weren't wanting something that fits graphically, you want something that fits thematicly
    sorry

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  16. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

"relative to screen size" thank you, I needed that

17. BoofyWorks3

BoofyWorks3

18. BoofyWorks3

BoofyWorks3

Oh yeah.
    Don't purchase the ad remover yet! it is having some problems.

It should be fixed in update 2.1!

Edit: The ad remover has been fixed! It should be usable now.

Last edited: May 18, 2018