Search Unity

Need help with title

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Wikened, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wikened

Wikened

I am trying to decide a name from below for a RPG, Volex based terrain game. I creating the story right now so I don't want to give to much away but it is based around 5 elemental bosses who control the world(In-game volex based world). Please tell me which one is the coolest and if can think of anything better please share! :D Thx!
    $Name_Images.png

https://wikened.wordpress.com/

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Without seeing the game in action and knowing more about it. it's difficult to suggest new names, other than basing it on what you already have, e.g. Cubental (mix of cube and elemental).

Can't say i'm really taken with any of the suggestions, though if I had to, I guess 'Cubes Dragons!' would be my favourite for the simple play on words of a known game. Perhaps the Elemental titles coming a close second or 'Sword Runner' but only if that is specifically what the game is about, otherwise it feels misleading.

Have you already checked these names online for existing games or usage? No point selecting one if its already in use. I would also steer clear of things like Voxel or Paradise as they are too generic and likely to conflict with existing names.

In determining a name I would

1. Examine the genre.
    2. Examine the game play mechanics.
    3. Examine the environment - how the world is created e.g. voxels in this case.
    4. Examine the aims of the game.
    5. Examine competitor game names.

For each section i'd write down as many words I could think of that describe that section. I'd then go to an online thesaurus and type some of those in to look for more unusual/cool/weird words to replace them. I'd then start mix and matching to see if that led anywhere.

You've identified two key points of your game, RPG and Voxels, although RPG is quite a diverse genre these days. I would check out recent RPG releases and see what they are naming them. I can't be sure but I think in general they are based around the name of the world (Skyrim) or the Hero.

Out of interest I pulled up a random top 10 RPG's on xbox page
    Tales of Vesperia - name of the hero?
    Fallout 3 - describes the World/Universe.
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - describes the World/Universe.
    Lord of the Rings: War in the North - describes the World/Universe.
    Mass Effect 2 - use of Mass Effect physics in the game Universe.
    Lost Odyssey - I guess cashing in the name of Homer's epic poem.
    Final Fantasy XIII - Unsure, maybe because it was the games creator 'last-ditch effort in the game industry' in a fantasy RPG.
    Nier - Hero name.
    Dark Souls - seams to be about collecting Souls of 4 lords so gameplay element.
    Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Don't know i'd say name of the Universe it takes place in.

So as you see I'd say most are names based on the universe or places within the universe the game is set. A few use names of the hero/character you play with a couple on gameplay elements.

Its the one thing missing from original post, what is the universe this game takes place in, what are the names of lands, towns, characters etc. Perhaps looking into those might give you some further ideas.

Also consider if you might make further games in this universe, in which case you might want a more 'embracing' main title, with a secondary title to distinguish what this one is about.

3. NomadKing

NomadKing

Voxel Front?

I also agree with Noisecrime's idea about a subtitle to bring more detail to the name (i.e Voxel Front: A Dragon's Tale, Voxel Front: Swords Sorcery etc.)

4. Wikened

Wikened

Thanks for your response! Way more then I expected thank you so much! Hope this post will help other people too!

5. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

You're welcome. Hope it helps.

6. wccrawford

wccrawford

Tales of Vesperia - All the other Tales Of games are listing a place, I think. I can't actually find Vesperia anywhere, though. It doesn't seem to be a name of a person, place, group or anything.

I have to say that 'Voxel Front' has a nice ring to it.

7. Wikened

Wikened

Voxel Front: Rise of the Elements?

That would be a nice name :D

8. wccrawford

wccrawford

Wasn't there already a 'rise of the elements' game in progress on these boards?

9. Wikened

Wikened

Nope but there is a "Elemental World" which can be found here.

10. NomadKing

NomadKing

I think that's got a nice ring to it :)

11. Wikened

Wikened

Thank you :) I think I will use it. Be sure to vote Here.

12. wccrawford

wccrawford

That's what it was. Elemental World: Rise of the Guardians.

13. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Liking (and voted for) 'Voxel Front: Rise of the Elements', although would it still work as just 'Voxel Front: Rise of Elements'? Its a subtle change and may not fit the game, depending on the use of 'elements' but to me it just sounds a bit snappier.

14. Wikened

Wikened

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/121573-Wikened-s-project-)

If you read the story line I believe it will fit because its based on 5 elementals rising to power and controlling the world. Thank you so much for your help btw!

15. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Please don't open 2 threads in the same forum talking about the same game. This conversation could have taken place in your WIP thread, or this could have been the WIP thread. I will close this thread as the other one has more content and fits the theme of this forum more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.