Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zahidyousuf, Dec 9, 2018.

1. zahidyousuf

zahidyousuf

hi there my name is Zahid I have a task to complete and I’m new to unity. I was wondering how will I complete this task and some further guidance thanks

Design a build an automated agent that will act and re-act to its environment.

More detail - You should build and document an autonomous agent written in c#. The agent should be able to navigate a known / unknown grid environment in a simulated world. The agent should be able to follow instructions based on a predetermined algorithm but also be able to adapt to its environment so becoming an ‘intelligent agent’ it should also be able to interact with other agents for a collaborative goal. Performance measures can include time and number of movements.

Seen world grid based environment has a lumberjack (intelligent agent), obstacle(s) (to avoid) and a tree (to cut down) and take to saw mill (goal).

Unseen world same as (i) but you do not know starting whereabouts of the lumberjack / obstacle(s) / trees / saw mill.

Unseen world and collaborative goal same as (ii) but now you have 3 lumberjacks and it takes 2 of them to fell the tree and take to the saw mill.

Attached Files:

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

This sounds a lot like you're trying to get us to do your homework for you or, worse yet, your job.

elmar1028, Amon, Socrates and 2 others like this.
  3. zahidyousuf

zahidyousuf

I’m so screwed

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Truthfully, if this is a time limited task, you won't be completing this task. If you've never worked with a game engine before but you have past programming experience you might be able to pick up the basics of Unity in a number of weeks, but if you have no past programming experience it's more likely going to be months.

elmar1028, Amon, MD_Reptile and 2 others like this.
  5. minhajdin

minhajdin

read about pathfinding first i came across this task before it i tell you it will take atleast 2-3weeks if you have past programming experience

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Where?

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

elmar1028, Amon and LurkingNinjaDev like this.
  8. mini786

mini786

it was my 2nd year project for university

Attached Files:

RavenOfCode likes this.
  9. mini786

mini786

there we go

Attached Files:

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

elmar1028, Amon and RavenOfCode like this.
  11. mini786

mini786

looooooooooooooooooool

12. mini786

mini786

i will give you a hint research about navmesh, a* pathfinding and dijkstra algorithm for pathfinding

13. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

This is why “degrees” in game development are pointless.

metaldc4life likes this.
  14. Ryiah

Ryiah

15. Murgilod

Murgilod

I feel like we should have classes in high school at the latest that cover how to do things like looking S*** up online or reading manuals. That would do more good than any amount of attempts to make game dev degrees work.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    LurkingNinjaDev and MD_Reptile like this.
  16. mini786

mini786

agreed

metaldc4life likes this.
  17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I would be more inclined to hire someone with a degree or RTFM or Googling than game development.

It’s also a more than a little telling that the exact “project” seems to pretty common/ boilerplate.

18. Murgilod

Murgilod

I think that having boilerplate stuff like that isn't too bad in a teaching environment in one specific case: using it as a way to gauge the skill level of an incoming class. If everyone F***s up the assignment, you might have to use a different lesson plan, etc etc

zombiegorilla likes this.
  19. Tzan

Tzan

So the OP is looking for help to earn $5 to do someone else's homework.
    /codeception

After reading thru 10-40 page instruction manuals for Avalon Hill wargames in my teens, I learned how to learn.
    Poor kids today dont get manuals anymore in computer games :(

20. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

In theory, maybe. But in practice, diploma mills like these aren’t gauging or planing anything. They use pre produced video and materials. Probably 1 “instructor” for hundreds if not thousands of students.

21. Murgilod

Murgilod

Not all schools are diploma mills. Hell, we had a basic assessment assignment in place when I was studying archaeology at an honest to god actual university with a real reputation and everything,

22. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yea, I’m only talking about same development ‘schools’ and courses, not real schools.

What the op posted is clearly not an assessment test, it's probably a final or course work. Also they wouldn't be panicking over it if were just an assessment. It's likely some online course/school they paid for, then blew off watching the little videos or doing some other lesson and now is stuck getting their little certificate saying "I am a game developer!". Which is clearly best result for everyone.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  23. Amon

Amon

This thread gave me da xmas lolz.