Search Unity

Need help with ideas for levels in ragdoll based game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Vefery, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Vefery

Vefery

I'm developing the game for about a month and I've almost done game mechanics. It seems like I reached the part where I should start adding levels and doing level design stuff. But after tons of videos about 3d design I found out that I'm completely suck at this.
    My game is a 3d side scroller, where you can move not only along x-axis (like a street - you can jump, cross the road, but still can only walk in the street direction). Character is driven by Puppet Master asset (you can find it on YouTube), so it behaves like Euphoria characters.
    You're literally can do everything with such character, but my imagination is only enough for "fall from high" and "jump on cube, then jump over a fence" things, and I've already used it in first level.
    So could you share your ideas what I can do with character or if you like ragdoll games, what would you like to see in such game?

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

For a rag doll game, I think you need objects that modify the ragdoll's movement in silly ways. Things like trampolines, high-powered fans, explosions, moving cars, etc. Also lots of destructible objects.

Vefery likes this.
  3. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

I would make a big level with just random stuff to interact with / climb / what ever, never mind the aesthetics, see what emerges as fun.

Kinda hard answering with out a short video about the project..

Vefery likes this.
  4. Vefery

Vefery

Thanks! I've never thought about cars and fans in that way

5. Vefery

Vefery

Great idea about big level, I'll definitely give it a try. Gameplay looks like this:

Don't mind the graphics, I'm still experementing with style

6. Arkade

Arkade

Heh, fun, I guess there's also the question of what the game goal is? My first thought was "speed run". Like maybe there's an optimal path through a level and the fun is trying to shave time off ... but failing *A LOT* and laughing about the hilarious ways you're set up for failure ... and then finding that what was the 'obvious' best path isn't and that there are really sneaky tricky paths through the levels! Perhaps watch a bit of "Lonely Mountain" footage? Also some "Gang Beasts" footage?

Also since this looks like it's on mobile, I hope you have some "capture the last N seconds and share it" feature cuz you know you wanna go all viral from silly shares ;-)

Great question. Ironically I'm struggling with similar level design stuff. It *is* much harder than we'd hope, huh! Your post makes me think maybe I could do the same and ask for ideas here too :)

GL!

SparrowGS and Vefery like this.
  7. Vefery

Vefery

Yeah, you described my idea perfectly!
    I think we need more tutorials of making arcade design, because all tutorials that I found was about creating atmosphere room, forest scene or just "add more details"
    Also thanks for "capture n seconds" idea, It would help with debugging (if anyone would play my game of course:))