Search Unity

Need help with character class ideas for a supernatural game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by SkylerKae, Dec 26, 2018.

1. SkylerKae

SkylerKae

Hey!. New here, I'm Sky, nice to meet you!.

Okay so. I have been playing around with an idea for a game for quite some time. Its a supernatural type game and whilst I have lots of ideas for possible content...I am a bit stuck thinking of ideas for traits and powers for each character type. I was wondering if you could throw any ideas at me that might be able to help. Please note that this list is not definite, I do actually want to change the names from just "Werewolf" or "Vampire" to make it seem a little less "typical". If you could help with ideas to fill in the blanks and perhaps some suggestions on the ones I have filled in I would greatly appreciate the input.

So far I have :

—Occultist—
    -Affiliation : Light / Dark
    -Primary power : Arcane Magic
    -Seconary power : Telekinetic
    -Racial traits :
    -Racial weakness :

—Vampires—
    -Affiliation : Dark
    -Primary power : Blood Magic
    -Secondary power : Physical
    -Racial traits : Stronger at night
    -Racial weakness : Weaker during day

—Werewolves—
    -Affiliation : Light / Dark
    -Primary power : Physical
    -Secondary power :
    -Racial traits :
    -Racial weakness :

—Fae—
    -Affiliation : Light
    -Primary power : Earth Magic
    -Secondary power :
    -Racial traits :
    -Racial weakness :

—Nephilim—
    -Affiliation : Dark
    -Primary power : Divine magic
    -Racial traits :
    -Racial weakness :

—Hunters—
    -Affiliation : Light
    -Primary power :
    -Racial traits : Determination [+10% on all stats at all times]
    -Racial weakness : Magic

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

What about changing the name first, and then choosing traits to match. I find that tighter restrictions spur creativity. For example, "Ancient Nosferatu" gives me more ideas than "Generic Vampire". In contrast to Anne Rice-style Romantic vampires, Ancient Nosferatu makes me think of sneaking, digging, controlling creepy-crawlies like rats and bats, stench of death, ancient knowledge, etc.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  3. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

You may want to consider what you want your enemies to do first, then decide what they are. What color they are or what their model looks like means nothing when it comes to how the game works. Look up the term “orthogonal unit differentiation.”

4. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Just here to point out that "generic" units can be intuitive for the player, if for example you have a werewolf enemy and one of your weapon is sliver, most player will know it deals extra damage to it without having to say a word in your lore.

this can be both a good and bad thing.

5. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

Agreed, but if it’s necessary, it has to be taught. For example, if silver bullets do more damage but regular bullets hurt it fine, don’t mention it and leave the more clever players to figure it out on their own, but if only silver bullets fell werewolves, most players may assume they are simply bullet sponges and waste their ammo.

For a good example, plasma weapons in halo tear through enemy shields but regular weapons take them down too, just not as well.

For a bad example, it’s not completely obvious that you can use the candle in Zelda to burn bushes.

6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Three is a good number

One player character. Two enemy character types.

Player character has three distinct moves. Enemy characters have three distinct behaviors. Each character move overcomes one enemy character behaviour, is nullified by another, and it countered by the third. Rock, paper, scissors. Classic game.

Game has a beginning, middle, and end. Three parts. Beginning to teach helpless noob how to do. Middle to let them experiment and have fun. End to challenge everything they have learned.

Three is a real good number. Human brain can manage that.

xVergilx and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  7. xVergilx

xVergilx

real.jpg

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.