Search Unity

Need help with baked lighting and system issues

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by LilGames, Jan 9, 2019.

1. LilGames

LilGames

Hello all. I came here hoping there would be a sub-forum dedicated to lighting/lightmaps and memory issues, but apparently not, so I'm posting here in hopes someone has the time and kindness to help with some issues I've come across since updating computers:

Quick summary of my issue:
    I've recently upgraded computer and I see benefits in Unity of course and I can run recent PC games on Ultra quality, but after tweaking lighting settings I get memory errors I didn't get with the old one. The old PC is 9 years old:

Windows 7 Home, 64 bit
    Intel i5 dual core (I don't have the exact model in front of me)
    12 GB RAM DDR3
    Plenty of HDD storage
    Radeon 5700 with 1 GB RAM.

My Unity project is an out-door only architectural scene which I am able to run decently enough (at medium quality, without post-processing stack) on that old system as well as bake the lighting on semi low settings if I leave it calculating overnight. It never gave me out of memory errors.

I even once generated the lightmaps on a 2011 MacBook Pro with 16gb RAM, running MacOS Sierra. Took all night but no memory errors.

Now my new system is a "gaming" system built by a reputable local shop:

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Intel i7 8700k, liquid cooled
    16 GB RAM DDR4 @ 2400 Mhz
    NVidia GTX 1060 6GB
    SSD storage with > 100GB free
    HDD with over 1 TB free

The project previously used Unity 2017.3.x
    Currently using Unity 2017.4.17f1

I went through my lighting and bumped up settings so I could bump this project up to a quality this new system is capable of (keeping in mind, this isn't even a 2080 or 9700k based system. My expectations are not THAT high). Nevertheless I get errors in Unity like:

Clustering job failed for system: 0x5972f736d56150cacefa496f46b93761, error: 4 - 'Out of memory loading input data.'.
    Please close applications to free memory, optimize the scene, increase the size of the pagefile or use a system with more memory.
    Total memory (physical and paged): 42710MB.

Jan9-unity-errors.png

If I check memory through Task Manager, it says there's an average of 6 to 8 GB of ram still FREE!! Why is Unity claiming there is not enough memory?

Jan9-memory.png

Basically, I left Unity calculating overnight on this faster system and it has still stalled with tons of errors when I checked on it this morning. I looked in lighting for the lightmaps and NONE exist.

Here are my current settings. I don't believe them to be egregiously high, but maybe there is a setting I have misconfigured due to ignorance:

Jan9-lighting-settings.png

TLDR;
    Getting memory errors on new PC that's way better than old 9 year old PC.
    Please review my lighting settings and advise where I may be going wrong.

And YES I have been reading the following resources:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.2/Documentation/Manual/BestPracticeLightingPipelines.html

Outdated info:
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials...uction-precomputed-realtime-gi?playlist=17102
    (Couple others...)

YES I have tried increasing my pagefile size.

NO I have not changed the Unity GI cache sizes, they are at the default.

YES I have lowered the lighting settings from what they were when I first encountered these issues.

NO I have not yet tried going back to 2017.3.0f, nor have I tried reverting all settings to what they were with the old PC.

Thank you !

2. LilGames

LilGames

Just wanted to follow up and add that the memory errors go away if I use the "Progressive (preview)" Lightmapper and they come back if I go back to "Enlighten"

3. LilGames

LilGames

Now, I just got a memory error even with the Progressive Lightmapper:

Progressive Lightmapper: AddMaterial job skipped - out of memory.

This even though I had successfully generated lightmaps earlier (took just over an hour).
    :(

4. LilGames likes this.