Search Unity

Need help with attack formula

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Not_Sure, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I'm having trouble coming up with a good formula to apply attack damage in what is supposed to be a simple RPG.

It is entirely "diceless", but it does have an RND "wheel" applied to the every player and the MOBS share a common "wheel". Basically it has 256 slots for its ints, and every time you hit someone it advances one slot, three if you get hit.

Also the game has an emphasis on physical balance. The more balance the attacker has and the lower the target has, the more damage they receive.

Also, also the angle of attack determines the amount of damage. That is, if you hit someone from behind it does more damage than if you hit them head on.

Then somewhere in all of this I'd like to have a dodge and critical mechanic, with an "ignore armor" type of hit. Oh, and there's also a parry.

I'm not married to any particular concept but I'm just looking at a too many options to make sense of what to do.

I tried to lay out the values to see how they fit together, but can't land on anything that works.

Player Wheel
    Target Wheel
    Player Attack
    Target Attack
    Player Balance
    Target Balance
    Angle of Attack
    Target Armor

I'm thinking that possibly I should have a parry counter and a backstab similar to Dark Souls that does the whole "no armor" effect, and draw in some of these stats to determine exactly how big of a window you have to parry is and how much of an angle you can backstab.

What do you all think?

2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

A parry? Cool!
    Also, most game companies, make the parry mechanic gimmicky, not fun, and sometimes close to unusable. Try not to make the parry mechanic gimmicky, like those AAA game companies. Make it where it actually works, is fun, and is almost easy to time and pull off.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Yeah, my goal is to make fights dynamic and full of interesting choices based around a cooperative experience.

My meta I have Invisioned one player (the tank) is in the front line getting all the agro and knocking enemies off balance.

Another player (the carry) is picking targets and making kills at a distance.

Another player (the mage) is acting as support dishing out area damage, cc, buffs, and heals.

And another player (the jungler) is scouting ahead, picking up good loot, harassing the enemy team, and doing burst damage.

Carry takes tank.

Tank takes jungler.

Jungler takes carry.

Support sucks at 1v1 but is the MVP during team fights.

Oh, and all characters occupy two of these roles.

So a barbarian is a tank/jungler.
    Ranger is tank/carry.
    Thief is jungler/support.
    Pyromancer is support/carry.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  4. Serinx

Serinx

I always find a matrix handy in these situations. Basically you want a bunch of different attributes that affect how different classes face-off against one another.
    each "Class" is really just a character with some strong attributes and some weak ones.

Take a look at this example matrix:

the "Diff" is how much higher the "Offense" attribute is over the "Defense" attribute.
    The bigger the difference, the greater the effect.

For example, a tank would have high Force, Strength, Stability, and Armour.
    A ranger would have high accuracy and finesse, but low armour and stability.
    If the tank landed a hit on the ranger, he would be stunned and take a lot of damage.
    The tank would barely take any damage from the ranger, but would struggle to catch and hit the ranger

Different combinations of these attributes would make up your classes.

Hopefully that helps a bit :p

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Not_Sure likes this.
  5. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite