Search Unity

Need help. Very confusing and don't know what to do next.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by hima, Dec 27, 2010.

1. hima

hima

Hi! I'm Hima and I'm just start learning Unity3D. I was thinking about making a simple match 3 games. I want to make it a 2D game so I bought Sprite Manager 2 in a hope that it will help make 2d game in Unity3D easier.

I tried following many tutorials on the website, but they seems to overlook some simple thing like the problem I'm having right now. Positioning game objects.

I have a background in making 2D games but not 3D. So the new coordinate system kind of confusing to me. How can I know where to put things are? The number seems really random to me and it isn't like 2D game where my team design a mock up and can just give me the coordinates.

So I decided to use orthographic camera and set the size to half of the screen height. This solve the problem of positioning objects. The new problem occurs. I wrote a script that if you click on a sphere, it will create a spark particle. But now it doesn't seems like the sphere can be clicked anymore, regardless of how large collider is.

To summarize, what I want to know are the following :
    - How to position objects in perspective camera view? Any tips or tricks?
    - How collider works in orthographic camera view? How come my code that work in perspective doesn't work in orthographic anymore?

I'm having a really bad experience with Unity3D right now, and the learning curve is really really high for me. I REALLY really wanna use it. But this stop me form using Unity3D so many time. I want to be able to use it to finish a game this time so any help is appreciated.

Thanks! :)

2. JJJohan_legacy

JJJohan_legacy

Hello there himatako,
    I'm fairly new to Unity as well, and have had it for just over a week or so now (although I've had a bit of a history with beginner-level programming and 3D-editors) so I'll try to help you as much as I can until someone else can answer it in a more understandable way or so.

I'm not sure about your second question about the orthographic view as I don't use it myself in my current project and thus have no experience but I'll try to explain positioning objects in the perspective view.

Firstly, you'll want to make sure that the tab at the top of the display is set to "Scene" and not "Game" as you can not interact within the view otherwise. At the top left of the program, below the toolbar (File, edit, assets, etc.) are four icons which assist you in navigating the view. I'll try to explain each one.

The first one, the hand symbol, lets you drag your way along the view. This tool is not used to interact with objects within your scene but instead to simply navigate around.

The second one, the move tool, is probably what you are after. It lets you select an object, by clicking on them, and you can then move them. As you described you are developing a 2D game I suggest you actually drag the blue and red arrows rather than simply the middle of the objects in your scene as it can otherwise give undesired results (different 3D heights in a 2D game doesn't sound like a good combination, unless of course this is what you want).

The third is for rotation, which can be a bit tricky to get the hang of. I usually type rotational values in manually in the 'transform' box in the inspector window (the object's properties).

Finally, the fourth icon is for scaling. You can stretch objects to make them fat or tall, or just bigger as a whole.

I do not own the Sprite Manager 2 so I don't know if this simplifies any of the tasks, but I hope it aids you well as I'm sure it is an excellent tool. Good luck, I hope I've been of some assistance as a fellow beginner to Unity.

3. Maker16

Maker16

Also, in the scene window, ther is a gizmo that has handles that represent differnt viewpoints. I believe the default is perspective. If you click the handle labeled 'Top' (or maybe it is labeled 'Y'), it will give you a top-down view of the area you are working in.

4. hima

hima

Thank you, both of you! I have calm down and started to learn bit by bit, and I finally got the match 3 game to work now! Now I can swap blocks, erase and combo :D

Still though, I think the learning curve is VERY steep for Unity. But once you understand the work flow, making a game is pretty easy. ^w^