Search Unity

Question Need help to change the colour of a mesh on a game object

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by DromoDesigner, May 13, 2022.

1. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

Hello - I am trying to change the colour of a mesh on an asset that I bought from the asset store.

The asset is a set of first person arms and weapons, and I would like to change the colour of the arms and weapons.

I first tried to export the asset into Blender, and changed the colour there. However, when I reimported the FBX into Unity, the bones have become all messed up, so the animations do not work. Arms and fingers are going everywhere!

I found some 'Blender to Unity' export guides and videos, and tried everything there, but nothing worked. I used Unity's FBX exporter to get the models into Blender, and also followed a number of guides. However, after all this the bones are still always messed up.

I have the Umodeller asset, but that doesn't work on skinned meshes, so I cannot use that.

Does anybody have any ideas about how I can go about recolouring the asset's arm's and weapons? It is a very simple new colour scheme I want to use - it only took a couple or minutes to do in Blender.

I am wondering if Quixel Mixer would be able to do it, as it is free, but I would like to hear if it would be possible to get the results I need before trying to learn another new application - if anybody has any opinions about that please let me know.

Attached Files:

2. Nicrom

Nicrom

Hi. Can you post a sreenshot of the character you want to change the colors of?

3. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

Hi - thank you for your message, here is a screenshot:

upload_2022-5-13_17-10-41.png

4. Nicrom

Nicrom

It looks like your character uses textures. You can't change the colors of this model in Blender. You need to import the textures in GIMP or Photoshop and change the colors there.

5. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

Hi - what I did in Blender was to use the model's UV map to change the colours of the model's faces - I used a different texture to do this and matched up the UV map to the new texture. That all worked well, and the when I exported the model back into Unity it had the new colours from the new texture, and everything looked good.

The problem was that exporting the model from Blender messed up the model's armature. So I need another way of adding another texture to the model's UV map.

Any suggestions?

6. Nicrom

Nicrom

Most likely, these models were not created and exported from Blender, so they are imported incorrectly to Blender. After you import a model to Blender, press CTRL+A and reset its rotation and scale. When you export it, make sure the toggle Apply Transform is enabled.

If none of the above works, try to contact the creator of these models and ask him what software he used to create them.

DromoDesigner likes this.
  7. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

I will give those things a go.

Thank you for your advice!

Have a good weekend :)

Nicrom likes this.