Search Unity

Need help setting up Accelerator on Ubuntu 18.04

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by FloBeber, Dec 21, 2020.

1. FloBeber

FloBeber

Hi there,

I'm definitely not a Linux expert but trying to set up Accelerator on a fresh new Google Cloud Compute instance running Ubuntu 18.04. I've installed Ubuntu Desktop and uses Nomachine to connect remotely.

I ran the Appimage installer (found here) and at first everything seemed OK but the dashboard wouldn't work (Unable to connect).

When I run the service --status-all command, I do not see unity-accelerator (should I?)

Just in case, I tried running the installer again and got javascript errors:

Could anybody help me with this? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  2. emiliza_gutierrez

emiliza_gutierrez

Unity Technologies

Hi! Thanks for reporting this issue - just wanted to give you a heads-up, we wont be able to give a response till next week (out for the holidays) but the team's been notified!

3. gregoryh_unity

gregoryh_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello Florian! While everyone is mostly out for the holidays, I did want to update you on this. We expect to have a new version released next week (possibly the week after) to make the Ubuntu install more seamless, but for the current version there are a few more steps you have to do "manually" to complete the installation.

Quick summary of what to run, as the root user (or prefix each command with sudo):

cp /home/florian/Desktop/Cache/runtime/unity-accelerator.service /etc/systemd/system/
    systemctl daemon-reload
    systemctl enable unity-accelerator.service
    systemctl start unity-acceleratoer.service

Then, back as your regular user again, you should be able to run:

unity-accelerator dashboard url --persist /home/florian/Desktop/Cache

And that should output the url of the dashboard for the service. You may have to provide the full path to the unity-accelerator executable -- I couldn't quite determine where that install directory was from the screenshots. In case you forgot what directory you chose, it should be in the /home/florian/Desktop/Cache/runtime/unity-accelerator.service file on the ExecStart line.

Alternatively, you can wait until the next version release, which has better support for Ubuntu specifically. The issue is that the Ubuntu won't allow gui applications to run as root without a lot of changes to the system that would reduce security, and our integration with sudo/pkexec wasn't quite right. The next installer version makes better use of pkexec/sudo so, assuming your user account has administrator privileges, it should install more smoothly without the extra steps.

4. gregoryh_unity

gregoryh_unity

Unity Technologies

Quick update on this: Version v1.0.909+g1e7dfa1 was just released today, specifically with Ubuntu installer updates.