Search Unity

Need help returning to Unity.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hafizmrozlan, Mar 13, 2016.

1. hafizmrozlan

hafizmrozlan

Hi and good day,

I have a dream, to make a video game. I've started a few years back learning Unity and C# and have got somewhat comfortable with it. I also manage to help with some collaboration (but the game is not completed), neither do I have any completed game. I have no prior programming experience. I also have full time job so my learning / development progress might be a bit slow.

However, I feel quite restricted in making game due to I have no access to any game asset even a decent one. At that time, I was foolish and don't know how to find a good / cheap asset. Feeling turned down because unable to produce anything good looking without any decent game art asset, I chose to continue my path with mobile application development, iOS specifically.

Since then I started to learn Objective-C. It was one hell of a language for a noob coder like me. The syntax and practice is quite far apart with other programming language. At the same time I also completed CS50: introduction to computer science on Harvard online course. Hoping to understand how to program better.

Then Swift came. It is far easier to grasp the concept than Objective-C. I follow along and develop a decent understanding of Swift. I study how Closure work, what is protocol and delegate. At this time I am comfortable with my knowledge, I know about value type vs reference type. I understand MVC programming pattern. But I still consider myself unskilled as a coder.

Now I'm able to make a simple application, not a large scale enterprise application. But apps such as to do list, maybe a reminder, or an alarm application. But I feel empty inside, I couldn't sense any enjoyment by completing that kind of project. This make me realise that I do not enjoy creating app, I just want to make game.

And now I'm here back. If you are still with me I want to thank you and I wish to hear your opinion, I want to relearn Unity and C# to make game again but what is the best course / book to study? There are abundance of resources out there but I have been trapped with beginner's mistake previously, I just learn but never making effort to make anything and I don't wish to repeat that again.

Now I'm looking into learning C# succinctly book, the yellow book of C#, official documentation of C# at msdn, some Unity course over at Udemy, Learning Unity C# Programming with Unity but this all will take several months of my time before I can start making game again.

I feel like the best way is to just read Unity official documentation, then refer back any part of C# that I don't understand and start coding game straight away. But will this be the best bet? Will it be enough to understand C#? Or can I understand C# enough with reading Learning Unity C# Programming with Unity?

Thank you and have a nice day!

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Forget learning. Just start making a simple game. Refer back to the learning resources as you need them. Learn as you do.

Learning without doing at the same time means nothing will stick properly.

GarBenjamin, neginfinity and Ryiah like this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

JDI

theANMATOR2b likes this.