Search Unity

Need help resolving graphical artifacts

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Gamieon, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Gamieon

Gamieon

I'm running into an issue where lines are appearing on what should be a flat playfield. Here is how it looks working normally in a playfield of evenly spaced 1 x 1 x 0.5 sized blocks:

http://www.gamieon.com/unityhelp/unity1.jpg

But if I tilt the camera, then lines appear around every square like so:

http://www.gamieon.com/unityhelp/unity2.png

I'm fairly sure the "lines" are just the other, darker sides coming through. I hardly see this on my main workstation, but I see it all the time on my laptop in a different screen res. On my HTC Thunderbolt, oddly enough, I see only some of the lines.

Does anyone know what the name is for this phenomenon? Is there anything I can do about it? The only solution I came up with was to make all the blocks that don't have their bottom sides exposed to have an emissive color to even out the brightness of all the sides...so the "lines" will still be there but just be much harder to see.

2. MADmarine

MADmarine

I imagine it's something to do with the lighting, perhaps limit the clipping planes on the camera, or just use an unlit shader?

The Unity cube has three vertices at each corner to make sure that lighting is flat on each surface, but I guess with some floating point imprecision the lighting is appearing slightly.

3. Gamieon

Gamieon

I'm 99% sure the lines are just the other, dimmer surfaces. I did implement my solution of changing the block materials to emission-only lightning if none of their sides were exposed to the camera, and fiddled with it until they looked identical to the other blocks. That reduced the problem to just a trivial issue.

For what it's worth mentioning, they're not static objects either.