Search Unity

need help on an indie game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jacobj30, Aug 28, 2015.

1. jacobj30

jacobj30

So i am planning on making an indie cooking game for smart phones. I won't bore you by saying how fun it is, it gonna be a simple game well not as simple as those running games on smart phones but it will still be simple. I want to know which coding language i should use. i already know what features i would like to put in the game. I am using unity3 to make the game. But i do not know how to click a certain thing and make it go to another scene. it is easy to doing when making a web site but i can't seem to figure it out when using unity 3.

After that i would like to make the same game just a bit bigger, then summit it to steam to be approved. Was wondering which coding language i should use for computers. But for the pc version i would neeed to make a terrain. And the only terrain on unity that i see are how to make mountains. I would instead like to make streets and houses.

Posted this in a few forum threads. i do not know which one is the best thread to post this so i want for like 3-4

PM me if u want to help with the game.
    i could use an artist

2. Samuel411

Samuel411

I'd suggest looking over a few tutorials and videos. Also Unity 3 is outdated, use the newest version, Unity 5. Terrain is just the ground, it doesn't include buildings and roads, you'll need to model those in a 3d modelling program such as Blender (free) or Maya (not free).
    For a programming language I'd suggest C#, but Unity has already built in three languages, Javascript, Boo, and C#. Since more tutorials are written in C# and it's applicable to programming outside of unity unlike Javascript (Not reall JavaScript, it's UnityScript) which is it's own little language in Unity. Boo is so uncommon.

Take a look at tutorials and the learn section up in the top before starting on your game. Good luck.

jacobj30, Ony and QFSW like this.
  3. jacobj30

jacobj30

thank you for answering my questions. But i think i would have to change my mind. I really do not know much about making a game. But i having been learning this whole week. when i first asked the question i was trying to make a big game like total war without the battles. But i figure that stuff is gonna take time. So i instead wanna do a small simplistic mobile game. You know the one where u slide and tap. Am gonna use unity 2D. And i really believe i can make a repetitive, fun and challenge game. I already have the island in my mind. I started writing it out yesterday. And now i am doing the micro payments. I know i have the cart before the horse. But what can i say i am an optimist.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Would you pick up a guitar for the first time in your life and start thinking about how to best charge for concert attendance?

No.

The first thing you'd do is try to learn how to hold it. And once you can do that maybe figuring out how to strum. Maybe five years after that, if you've had plenty of dedicated practice, then you can start thinking about charging people to hear your music.

Forget charging for your first game. Just make something, put it in front of people, learn from it. Do it again. Improve. Forget the money until you're skilled at the craft.

JoeStrout, Kiwasi, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  5. jacobj30

jacobj30

I absolutely agree with what u said. But you misread what i said about micro payments. The game(s) i am making will be 100% free. But the harder they get the more people would want an easy way out. And that is where the micro payments come in. I could charge .99 for reduced time and extra stats for a limited time. Or 99 cents to get more points(what ever currency i use). That way people do not have to buy it. If the game does well then i will make an even longer version and submit it to steam for it to be greenlit. If it does not then i will do some changes and submit. If it does then i will be making a series of the game and making new games. If i do not get into steam at all then i would stick with the apps.

6. cyberpunk

cyberpunk

1. Use Unity 5
    2. Learn C#
    3. Work hard for a while
    4. ???
    5. Profit

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, like practically every other game on mobile. The reason we're suggesting you don't try to monetize your initial games is because you need to focus on creating a good game rather than one that makes money. There are countless games on the app stores created by beginners such as yourself that focus on the monetizing aspect early on... and utterly fail.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/SasaStublic/20150401/240243/Dont_monetize_your_games.php

JoeStrout and Kiwasi like this.
  8. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Well said! :)

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm pretty sure I didn't. Furthermore, the whole rest of that post goes on about how you're designing in micro-transactions (money!) and your plans for getting on Steam.

The first game I fully made was a clone of Hunt the Wampus. I showed it to one other person and... that was it. I knew I could do better. Next time, I did. And I didn't let the idea of selling what I was making get in the way of learning how to make it.

Do you want to make games or do you want to make money? "Both" is a good answer, but one has to come before the other and if it's "money" that comes first... well, there's easier and less risky ways to get that. If "games" come first, then put the game first and concentrate on honing that.

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  10. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

"Forget charging for your first game. Just make something, put it in front of people, learn from it. Do it again. Improve. Forget the money until you're skilled at the craft." -angrypenguin

I don't think I've ever seen it said it better with fewer words. I think this is the truth. Every person who desires to be an indie game developer needs to hear these words at least once.

angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I've lost count of the number if first games that have been totally ruined by ads, IAP and other monetisation.

Your target for your first games is honing your craft. Then your target is visibility. Once you can get these down you can think about money.

12. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

When I write a book one day, can I put these words on the back cover? ;)

Kiwasi likes this.
  13. LaneFox

LaneFox

jgnmoose, JoeStrout and Ryiah like this.
  14. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Oh jeeZ

15. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

One of my first, too! (But that substantially predates Unity... I think it was written in C++, using the Carbon APIs. Still available for Mac OS 7.5!)

angrypenguin likes this.
  16. jhocking

jhocking

That's fairly easy to do and you can learn that by looking in the Learn section. On the other hand, my book Unity in Action also teaches that, plus you'll be learning how to use Unity 5 instead of being stuck with Unity 3:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/161729232X/

Ryiah likes this.
  17. jacobj30

jacobj30

thnx for answering. And what i got from what of you are saying is that. I should not monetize it at all. No apps, no ingame purchases. Just make a game. If everyone likes it then great. I should then build upon the game then i should monetize it? Btw am sorry if i seem like some money hungry douche. Anyways what's the difference between all those coding languages. Do u have to learn different languages for different phones?

18. jhocking

jhocking

The monetization stuff I have no comment on, but this
    Unity supports both C# and UnityScript; I highly recommend using C#. The vast majority of your game is programmed in that language; Unity handles translating things so they work on the various devices. If you get advanced enough to be writing your own plugins then you may need to dip into Objective-C for iOS or Java for Android, but even if you need to do that it'll just be short snippets of code.

19. jacobj30

jacobj30

^thnx for that. so do you guys know how to like put a script into an object. Like how when u click on a link it sends you to another page or a pic or a box opens up.

20. jhocking

jhocking

Yes we do. But rather than directly explaining that, I would advise just don't worry about that specific task for now. That's easily done in Unity, so just concentrate on generally learning how to use Unity; that specific task will become trivial once you know how Unity works.

21. jacobj30

jacobj30

i am writing down ideas for a game. And i thought of making a game kind of like grepolis. it is a multiplayer game. And i hope to make it a bit complex. and put a bit more detail into it. The game is very simple and easy to understand. Due to that the fun of it wears off fast. And u end up feeling like is that it. Maybe i could make it a bit more complex. without making it hard for people to play. you will know what i mean if u ever played grepolis.

22. tedthebug

tedthebug

Games don't need to be complex to have longevity. Look at some of the popular casual games on mobile, one main mechanic done over & over again.

JoeStrout likes this.
  23. jacobj30

jacobj30

i get what u are saying but i meant it like i would add a bit more to the game. and jungle some stuff around