Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Need Help] Making terrain for a game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr.M1k4, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Mr.M1k4

Mr.M1k4

Hello Everyone.

I started using unity some months ago and now i started working on a open world game, and for that i need a big terrain where i can start placing every building and objects.
    But for that i need some help, can someone tell me a good way to make it?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. HolBol

HolBol

Don't make an open world game if you've just started. You won't finish. Take it from the guy that tried. xD

3. Mr.M1k4

Mr.M1k4

lol
    I will try to make smaller things first to get used to it, but i really wanted to know this.

4. Nemox

Nemox

The Terrain Toolkit is a great help, and you'll find it among Unity's downloadable stuff. It'll help you generate large amounts of terrain instantly. However, you will need to do a lot of hand-editing around important spots, like towns, paths, and such. Practice is the only way to make terrain and its textures look good together.

5. Mr.M1k4

Mr.M1k4

Thank you both, i'll start working alot in basic stuff, and keep this tools in mind so i can later start big projects, i'm working as much as i can to be able to make nice things.

6. TehWut

TehWut

The terrain system is actually reallly easy to grasp. were you asking about that specifically or tips on how to do it better?

7. Mr.M1k4

Mr.M1k4

I was looking for good tools for it, because i was thinking in doing the terrain in blender and put it in unity, but i knew there was a easier way, so i made this thread.

8. TehWut

TehWut

I would use the built -in one (good for beginners, but has it's flaws) or the Terrain toolkit mentioned above.

9. Nemox

Nemox

Since my topics tend to not get any replies, I figured I might mention this here.

For some reason, Unity's terrain physics are really wonky. Yes, wonky.
    Upward slopes speed up an object as it moves along the terrain, and downward slopes slow it down. !!?!?!??

10. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

The terrain doesn't innately have any "physics", its just a collider. That sounds more like an issue with the physics of your object.

11. Nemox

Nemox

I tested it with several different objects; simple rigidbodies. Cubes, balls, friction, no friction/bounce. All of them behaved the same way on terrain; slopes work completely wrong.

I tested it again, using boxes to simulate the terrain. Worked perfectly!

Try the test for yourself, and see what I'm talking about. Just a simple three angles; a flat area of terrain, and two perfect slopes, and replicate it with cubes afterward.

12. Jaimi

Jaimi

That's weird, doesn't happen to me. Have you hand coded your movement? If so, perhaps there is an issue with it only handling movement when it is touching the terrain (and you would be intermittently touching when going down a slope...)? Otherwise, I have no clue.

13. Nemox

Nemox

In this case I was only using a rigidbody and letting the physics engine do all the work. My emergently-physical character controller had the exact same problems that the ball did.

EDIT: A more extreme example of this happening is when I had a gigantic terrain pillar, 600 meters tall, and any rigidbody that I shot into the slope, instead of bouncing off the side, would go flying into the air at ridiculous speeds. Same thing happened to my physical character.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012