Search Unity

NEED HELP: Licence successfully returned; You have no valid licence.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by TheSteelJackal, Jun 24, 2019.

1. TheSteelJackal

TheSteelJackal

Hi there,
    I have recently downloaded Unity Hub 2.0.2 to make use of the Unity Engine. I have created an account and confirmed the email address, but I have been completely stonewalled by the licencing process.
    I enter the licence management tab to activate a new licence. I go through the following process:
    unity error p1.PNG
    unity error p2.PNG
    unity error p3.PNG

As you can guess, this really confuses me - why would I have both an activated AND returned licence that is then not valid.
    Opening Unity, I have not been able to open/start any projects either.

If anyone could explain what's going on, and how I can start getting to work on projects, I'd really appreciate it.

Best regards

2. SOICGeek

SOICGeek

One of my team members had something like this, and it turned out he was signed in with the editor, but not with the Hub. You have to be signed in on both for licenses to show up correctly. Unity Hub doesn't seem to be displaying the robustness of Unity itself. I've got some complaints with it, but I'll save them for another thread.

Edit: To clarify, go ahead and try to start the editor. If necessary, find it in Explorer and start it there. To find it in Explorer, click Installs, then click the three dots on the tile with the version you want to start, and then "Show in Explorer".

Edit to the edit: Sorry, you said you already started the editor. I haven't had my caffeine yet. Just start the editor and try to sign in using the account button in the top right.

To start a new project, do it within Unity with File->New Project.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  3. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello !
    First of all, you are signed in well and you can check that there is your initials in the account icon.
    In the first screen shot, you had a successfully activated license and could have worked with fine. Once you return the license (it's like deleting the license), you have no valid license and you won't be able to create or to open projects.

4. SOICGeek

SOICGeek

I think I see where the confusion is for him, and I think it's confusing for me, too. "Returning" a license means that you're done with it and you're releasing it for someone else (presumably on your team) to use. That means you can't use that until you grab your license again. Like checking out a book at the library, and then "returning" it later. You might consider using a different term there, like "release". Remember that a lot of us are programmers, and "return" usually means you can use it now. :)

Code (csharp):
    2. void borrow(money) {
    3.      return money;
    4. }

trombonaut and safaGH like this.
  5. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

@SOICGeek , I see... good point ! Maybe we should look into the terminology we are using. Thank you for your feedback !

6. TheSteelJackal

TheSteelJackal

This was exactly what I was thinking haha, thanks for the help with clarification.

7. TheSteelJackal

TheSteelJackal

Ah thank you very much, I thought that returning the licence meant that it would be further activated in some sense. Thanks for the help!

safaGH likes this.
  8. ahmedaniss

ahmedaniss

problem fixed here :