Search Unity

Need help from experienced editor scripters

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by chronosapien, Apr 22, 2013.

1. chronosapien

chronosapien

Hey guys. I need some help with some editor scripts I'm working on. As opposed to posting specific questions in the forum trying to find the few with experience (which never seem to result in any solutions), I figured it would be easier to just pm someone who is willing to help. I've read through the docs and have watched different videos, mostly from unite conferences, but have some specific questions I need help with. If you're interested pm me or post here so I can pm you.

2. chronosapien

chronosapien

bump. Come on editor script gods I know you're out there!!

3. WheresMommy

WheresMommy

Maybe you can make a list of your questions here, so everyone who is able to answer a specific question will answer. For now I do not think that there are people waiting in the forum to answer questions to spend their daytime ;)

4. chronosapien

chronosapien

Yeah... I've tried the specific question thing and I haven't ever gotten a response for the editor scripting stuff. I figured there might be someone who wouldn't mind responding to a pm every once in a while so I could avoid multiple posts without responses cluttering the forum. But we can try again :)

- Is there a way to create a custom inspector for a base class and have children classes use the inspector? Right now I'm inheriting from a base class and the child doesn't receive any of the custom editor. I would like to not have to add an attribute in the editor script for every child class I create to use the same inspector.

- OnInteractivePreviewGUI() - What kind of functionality is possible with this method? I can see from the docs that it is limited to component inspectors but I'm not really sure how to use it.

I've got a few more but let's start with these and see what happens.

5. WheresMommy

WheresMommy

Yeah, now i know, why you don't get an answer ;) This are some very hard to answer questions. Did you email Unity3D Support directly. I think they can help you in a better efficient way. You are trying to change the unity software and i don't know, if it is possible without rewriting the whole program ;)

6. Dantus

Dantus

Shortly ago CustomEditor got a second argument. It does exactly what you are looking for. Though, it doesn't work for generic classes.

7. chronosapien

chronosapien

Wow that was way too easy. I don't know how I missed it! Dantus you may be getting harassed by me in the near future ;). By the way I use your cloud system and it looks amazing. Kudos.

So then, has anyone used OnPreviewGUI() or OnInteractivePreviewGUI() who can shed some light?

8. chronosapien

chronosapien

To answer your question asd, yes I've emailed Unity. After some back and forth, I actually did get an answer I was looking for but it was still a little sparse. If the turnaround was shorter then it might be an option, but trying to get specific details in emails that take days to get a response from just isn't a very good option.

9. chronosapien

chronosapien

So after some searching around, I found a great resource for learning editor scripting or really any other Unity related topics. Yilmaz Kiymaz offers, free of charge, one on one sessions over Skype about any topics you need some help with every Friday. You just fill out a ticket and then meet him on Skype at the scheduled time. Yilmaz presented at Unite 12 on the topic of Advanced Editor Scripting which can be found here. Below is the link to submitting a ticket for a session:

http://yilmazkiymaz.com/fucf/