Search Unity

Need help for working as a team in unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smalldragon979, Jul 10, 2013.

1. smalldragon979

smalldragon979

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this.

Me and my brother have been working together on the same game for a few weeks, unfortunately we are now in different cities but we still wish to continue making the game, however we have been having some trouble working on distance. Manly we have been having a lot of problems sharing the game's code, assets and scenes and communicating with each other (we even ended up working independently on the same feature by accident). The game we are working on is somewhat simple and so far we have been both working on scripting the game and my brother has been doing all the art.

I would like some tips about working on the same project in unity as a team and sharing projects and scenes in unity.

(Sorry for my English)

2. loadexfa

loadexfa

You should use some version control software such as SVN or GIT, both of which are very popular. If you are new to version control, many seem to agree that SVN is easier to start with but I can't say personally having never learned GIT. For a small project either option should work fine. Also make sure you read up on preparing Unity for this:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/ExternalVersionControlSystemSupport.html

3. smalldragon979

smalldragon979

Thanks for the feedback, but is there any alternative to using version control?

4. Khyrid

Khyrid

You can use any file sharing program, I like sugar sync. There is also google drive and others. It's easier if you split up task so you don't both have to use the same files at the same time.

5. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

It only takes 10 minutes to setup SVN or GIT or HG (Mercurial), 5 minutes to upgrade SVN or GIT or HG every time a new version comes out...

You don't need to use any expensive plug-ins and it works even with Free Unity3D.

6. loadexfa

loadexfa

Khyrid is correct and I am a fan of google drive. Why wouldn't you use version control? It's by far the best way to handle a situation like you describe and not hard to get up and running.