Search Unity

Need help finding Tutorial, PDF, or some kind of Documentation

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by JoshMBeyer, Apr 9, 2013.

1. JoshMBeyer

JoshMBeyer

I want to get the understanding of how to put together a basic system of a game. For example, the game will first consist of creating a character (Which is saved as an account ID, Password, Class, Experience, Inventory, Equipped items, etc) I've followed several tutorials on creating, RPG (BurgzergArcade's Hack and slash) but he doesn't really explain whats going on. You follow 200+ videos and then you have a huge system you can't even begin to understand. Gamer2GameDeveloper's FPS tutorial which is a little more informative but doesn't really explain what I need to know, and several other tutorials online.

It seems with all of these, they all come down to creating classes. Like, a player class, item class, and all these other things. I can't seem to find any documentation about what these really are and how they work.

I understand the syntax of C# and the basic methods. Me and a few of my friends want to create a zombie survival game (A little redundant I know) The game will consist of a few player classes to choose from, based off what they were before the outbreak. A soldier, a police officer, Fireman, doctor, athlete, blacksmith, etc. Each class will have different abilities. Then you have weapon classes where the player will gain the ability to use Machine guns, pistols, rifles, melee, archery. NPC's that the player can buy items from, receive missions. A server wide store, with an icon at the bottom saying "Black Market" or something and there are special items players can buy (I will set up all that stuff later though.) There are several other features to the game but these are just a beginning example.

What I need is to find some online docs, or tutorials, that I can research to learn how to put games together, how script classes work and what they do. Just the kind of docs that would supply me with the information I need to achieve this. If anyone can help me please, please do so.

Also, I know it would take forever to put this together, and I don't care so please don't comment just to give some discouraging remarks. I am not asking should I do this, I am just asking if anyone can help provide me with some information.

If this is in the wrong section please tell me where to post it

Thank you for your time, - Josh

2. snortop

snortop

If you dont know about classes you should go back to basic or read more about OOP Object Oriented Programming. The also many books on the market on this just seach for it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming

To make a game is not as easy as it sound.

A timeline of project

Idear - You have a good idear of a game.
    Documentation (GDD)- Game Design Document. You make a game design that describe everything in game
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_design_document
    Project overview - You make a overview of the project. What is needed before another thing can begin. Like do you need model before making the code for it.

soo, alot is needed to make a game development.

I know it more fun to make the actual design and implemtation of the project. But if this is not done the chance off success is below 50%. Because none is sure on what to do and all have diffent idear that could be made. If the GDD is made the should be no discussion on what to do.

3. JoshMBeyer

JoshMBeyer

Thanks for the insight, that is pretty much what I was looking for. I've heard the term of OOP but I haven't really grasped what it is exactly. So far I've written down in microsoft word all the features of the game, classes, skills, weapons, armour, items, areas, enemies, etc. as the game discription. And as you said about the project over view, I have trouble knowing what order to do things in, what needs done first. I have all the models and everything pretty much. I wish there was a guide on how to put it all together and what order I should create all the scripts in haha. Because I am having a very hard time with that. I can write most of the scripts to move the character, interact with NPC's, a quest manager, shooting weapons, applying damage and health, targeting enemies. But I can't figure out how to create a player. Like with all the details, as in how scripts should interact with each other, having the scripts that are not attached to anything. I was following the 280 videos in BurgZergArcade's Hack And Slash RPG Tutorial to try and figure out how to create a system but he wouldn't really explain what is happening and why. I was hoping I could understand it and then create a system of my own with that information just changing a few things but I couldn't make sense of all of it. Do you know of any documents (Preferably free) that could give me a good understanding of all the basics and fundamentals, and how things should go together?

4. snortop

snortop

Nope i would very much like 1 myself :-D