Search Unity

need help creating terrain mesh without noticeable texture tiling.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by omgitskara, Jan 10, 2015.

1. omgitskara

omgitskara

My goal is to create a terrain map that actually looks good and does not have noticeable tiling of textures. To solve this issue I recently bought the asset Splaterrain. It looks like it would do a good job but I have no idea how to use it and there seems to be no tutorials for it. If anyone has this asset and could help me get started with it, that would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone knows of an easy way to achieve applying textures to a mesh and not having ugly noticeable tiling, that works too. One thing I should point out is I am using terrain meshes that I build in Blender3d, not the built in unity terrain.

2. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

if you want to make it not tile you have to use atleast 2 textures one as the base and then paint over it wiht like 50% opacity to blend it

3. omgitskara

omgitskara

thanks for the reply. I have done this as a quick fix. I just feel it's not optimal since i have to tile a 4028 image like 12 times so that it is clear to the player when he looks down at his feet. My main problem is I need a splatmap to plug in and I have tried loads of things such as world machine but that requires different nodes for each type of terrain you use. I will have to break down and use photoshop because so far this is the only consistent way I've found to actually create an RGB map. If this is possible in gimp that would be awesome.

Sorry for my post taking such a different turn but by now a lot has changed after a lot of trial and error.