Search Unity

Need help about matching textures with a modified mesh

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Jadore122, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Jadore122

Jadore122

Dear guys,

Nice to meet you!
    I'm totally new to Unity. Hope to get your help and guidance:)

Recently I am working on modifying mesh of a 3D Model including some roads, buildings, etc. My questions are:
    1. How to modify the width of lanes (i.e. modify the vertices of each lane, maybe making a script using unity 3D API) ?
    2. Then, how to match the textures with the modified mesh?

I sincerely hope you could give me some instructions, thanks in advance!

Cheers for any answers:)

Bests,
    Jadore

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome!

What you probably want to do is modify the model in a 3D modeling application. I use Blender because it's free, and once you get past the learning curve, it's a very capable application.

Duplicate, move, or extend the vertices as you like, then adjust the UV maps to fit with the texture. You can overlap UVs to use the same part of the texture on different parts of the model.

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. Jadore122

Jadore122

Thank you very much for your reply, Schneider21!

If a 3D model is rather complicated, modifying the model using any 3D software is possible? Maybe, making a script for dealing with the mesh geometry is necessary?

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Whether it's a complicated model or not, I have to believe importing the FBX, modifying it, and exporting it is simpler than doing it in a script. Unless, of course, you're a very experienced programmer used to working with geometry in code.

Can you share an image of what this model looks like? Including the wireframe, if possible?

5. Jadore122

Jadore122

yes, you are right@Schneider21. At the weekend, I asked some guys, they said what you said:)
    But, sorry, schneider21, I can't post my model, because it's disallowed in our lab.

Thank you again for your patience and answer:):)