Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[NEED-HELP] 3D Tiled game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheKirvis, Dec 12, 2014.

1. TheKirvis

TheKirvis

Hello Everyone,

Whole week I was thinking about it and I could figure it out , how to do it? I want to create map, tiled map. But its not similar to civilization games or other ones. As example I found game Runescape, tried it for half hour and noticed that this game has that kind of map that I want.
    First problem, Performance - If Im going to do it with Gameobjects that act like terrain,floor,ground then Im going to have lots performance issues, I tried asset Tilednav (Dont remember how it was called) , It created objects for each tile and even with 20x20 map I had lag on my powerfull PC (And my game is aimed at mobile devices)
    Second problem, mesh? - I dont really know a lot about it ,but I followed tutorials
    . But map in this tutorial is created by programming and Its hard to do things with this method, also it creates map in Runtime. I dont really like that.

Okay, I dont really know where should I go. I came here to ask suggestions and I really would like to hear what u think and how should I do it ( Every tile should have its data)

Thanks for reading.

2. TheKirvis

TheKirvis

Still need help ;( !!

3. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Sounds like what you should look into is making chunks out of significant areas of your terrain, and loading them only when the user is near them. That's the secret behind runescape. That big map has tiny chunks loaded at once. I'm not familiar with the tiling asset you mentioned, but I can't imagine what it does to give you lag at 20x20 tiles. If you line up and drag some gameobjects 20 across and then duplicate them down 20 times, you shouldn't see any performance hits at all.

TheKirvis likes this.
  4. TheKirvis

TheKirvis

Thanks for idea! I dont know how I didnt think about that. Thanks!

5. bugmagnet

bugmagnet

I am the author of Tiled to Unity... I think it could be a solution to what you are looking for.