Search Unity

Need guide on Prefab Workflow

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Paul-Swanson, May 13, 2019.

1. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Hi guys.
    It was inevitable, I finally upgraded to 2019.1 for a new project. Gotta be honest I don't understand how to use this new Prefab system. I vastly preferred the older version. And, I do realize there no way back now, just wishful thinking, since the new way going forward is this...thing.

I've yet to find a guide that gives a proper explanation. Hence me asking here. So I need a youtube video that breaks down wtf this new prefab system is and how it works in the simplest way, because reading about it just doesn't make any intuitive sense.

So 2 questions...
    1st up is, is there a paid asset that exists yet that replicates the old (imo superior way) workflow? I just don't enjoy the new way, nor is it intuitive. I didn't need a guide for the old way, it just made sense. I'm not against buying an asset to reverse this. I'll gladly do it Id say something like that would be worth around 100 USD.

2nd up: I'm assuming option 1 doesn't yet exist (but I'm sure it will eventually), Does anyone have a proper guide on how to manage this new system. I want to work with it as close to the old system as possible. I don't want or need prefab variants or Nested Prefabs...I just want to make a prefab and edit it across the board when ever I apply it. I literally have ZERO need for a prefab variance and I don't understand how this new way works, every single time I try I make a new variant, which is absolutely not what I want.

Sorry if this came across as a rant. I just want \ need to be guided on how this thing works, cause I'm stumped. Iv resisted as long as possible and now I've got no choice.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  2. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=new+prefab+system+unity

3. Baste

Baste

It's not very different if you're ignoring variants or inheritance.

- Press P to edit the prefab in an isolated view instead of editing it directly in the project browser. (This has apparently been fixed in 2019.1 now, so you can still edit it in the project browser? Haven't tested properly yet).
    - All the things you used to do that automatically broke prefab links now require you to right click and select "unpack prefab" first. Like reordering or deleting child objects.
    - The apply button has been replaced with a less convenient, but more powerful "overrides" dropdown menu. Hitting "apply all" there does the same thing.

So it's not that scary. The biggest issues with the launch - too many bugs, and no project editing - is getting fixed.

Paul-Swanson likes this.
  4. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Thx Baste,
    I did mess with it at launch but hadnt touched it since, as it was such a mess. Ill give it another shot tonight. There's some assets I wanted to test with, now's the perfect time. I appreciate the breakdown.