Search Unity

Need for Asset-Editor?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by McDev02, Aug 4, 2011.

?

Is that useful for You?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. McDev02

McDev02

As we are going to develop a world editor for our games, I ask you if you have a need for that.

This Editor would handle all ingame content like balanceing-values, names of objects, written and spoken text for localization, just all you want to be manageable.

The system should hide all inside mechanics from you. So you don´t have to mess around with index numbers.

It would also be possible to share an editor with your game for modding purpose, secondary.

If people need this, we would spend more effort on flexibility and easy useage and we would provide a js version, too.

Share your thoughts here.

*As i have no overview of the Asset Store, i have no idea if something like this is already available.

2. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

I guess it also depends on how well you could adjust it to fit your own needs, how expensive it would and so on. But basically i'd say yes, that should be useful to a lot people. If you bring it to the asset store, i would definitly give a really close look because i have a lot of games in mind that would benefit from it.

3. zine92

zine92

Cool. Would love to see new assets plugins in the assets store. I am guessing you could do something like instead of just adjusting for your game, make it a little general like making general RPG games or whatsoever. That would appeal to people.

4. McDev02

McDev02

Hey zine.

I´m not sure if i understand you right, but this editor would just handle parameters it is not a basic game/genre framework.
    We want to make this generall of corse so you may miss some features for a specific genre, but we try to cover a lot of possibilities.

So for your RPG you can edit all ingame data like an item´s cost, weapon´s strength or things like camera rotation speed.
    With that editor it should be possible to create a new quest and set the rewards, time limit, type of quest, link it to an NPC and manage the quest tree.

You have to code the mechanics behind by yourself, but the values can be editable.

This tool will be a Game-Design tool, just for clarification.

5. zine92

zine92

I see. So i guess this would benefit those game designers and make rapid content generation i guess. But still interesting to see this released. :D