Search Unity

Need Feedback for a new book - “Mastering Unity 2D Game Development”

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Paush, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Paush

Paush

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some feedback on a recently published book on Unity, namely, Mastering Unity 2D Game Development.

Link to the book page: https://www.packtpub.com/game-development/mastering-unity-2d-game-development

If anybody is interested, please send a mail to me on paushalim@packtpub.com

OR

You can comment below this post stating your interest (for e.g., your email id and where would you like to share your feedback - Amazon, Goodreads, your own blog, etc.)

I appreciate your help regarding this!

Please Note: Free eBooks will be provided for this purpose.

leonardozimbres likes this.
  2. teknophyl

teknophyl

I'd be happy to review, provided the audience's assumed experience with Unity doesn't exceed Intermediate.

I sent you a PM with my email information. Thanks.

3. OboShape

OboShape

i've sent an email to the address you posted. would love to work through the book and give feedback here and amazon.co.uk

4. teknophyl

teknophyl

No response from the OP; personally wondering if he's legit. Good thing the email address I gave him is meant for "marketing" purposes.

5. OboShape

OboShape

nothing back here either, yeah ive got the same, a public facing email for general correspondence.

6. Paush

Paush

Guys, sorry for the late reply. You'll be getting an email from me today with the book download details.

OboShape, Chambers and teknophyl like this.
  7. teknophyl

teknophyl

8. OboShape

OboShape

Just finished and posted my review up on amazon.co.uk.
    mines from a beginners point of view.

cheers for the chance to work through this, enjoyed it.

9. teknophyl

teknophyl

I have to say, after reading your review, and some of the others on the US Amazon site, I am wondering out loud if I got a totally different copy from the rest of you. Because I had a very, very different experience with the book.

10. OboShape

OboShape

from my side, as I'm almost a complete beginner, just have very minimal c# exposure and a little unity knowledge
    I was kind of looking through a kids eyes where everything is new.
    I didn't have any knowledge on the topics covered until going through them apart from what I've done within the learn site here. So from my perspective it was all shiny new and a good boost to get a foundation understanding of stuff I can take into my further projects to build upon.

if that makes any sense, hopefully :)

11. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Tech books are always received differently based on the perception and expectations of the reader. It sounds like this is a fine Intermediate level book all of the beginning programmers can use to take their skills and thinking to the next level. Someone with a decade or more experience will have waaaay more experience to draw from and their expectations will be very different from someone just learning programming.

OboShape likes this.
  12. Mordekai

Mordekai

@ teknophyl

In your book review you said, "There are areas of the book that are either wrong or totally confusing. Several code samples specify a RidgedBody2D object - if you are even a beginner Unity user you know there is no such thing."

But there is:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-Rigidbody2D.html

M.

13. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

So it is book good or not?

14. Chambers

Chambers

In a nut shell, yes it is good. Read the reviews, they are pretty in depth! ;)

Just published my review over at Amazon.

15. teknophyl

teknophyl

The spelling is incorrect in the book. It appears exactly the way I spell it in the sentence above, which is wrong. It is Rigidbody2D, not Ridgedbody2D.

16. teknophyl

teknophyl

It will be better when the 2nd edition is printed with some of the errors fixed. There are a few pretty obvious ones.

It assumes you're better than a beginner C# programmer, though, which is something that as a developer with experience is extremely refreshing to find. We need more books that teach Unity without teaching fundamentals of programming. There's enough of those.

OboShape and Chambers like this.
  17. Chambers

Chambers

I agree with Teknophyl, it makes the reader solve issues themselves or use the Errata quite frequently. More books of this style aiming at the more Intermediate/Advanced users would be great, an abundance of Introductory books does nothing to push the envelope.

18. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Just found this post.
    Thanks for all the kind reviews.

In regards to teknophyl's comments, there were some issues introduced in the initial publication of the book, needless to say I was suitably annoyed. However I've worked with the publisher and corrected all the issues that were introduced to the title since it left my hands.

The updated version has been live for a few weeks now and good to go.

If you have any queries or questions about the title, either ping me direct or pop a note on the forums I set up for the book here:http://darkgenesis.zenithmoon.com/D...k-forums/mastering-unity-2d-game-development/

Everyone and anyone who bought the initial release should have a digital code for the updated version (made sure the publisher kept to that promise)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    OboShape likes this.
  19. OboShape

OboShape

Simon, at the end of the day, its good to to have writers take pride in their work like yourself, and when readers give feedback its taken on board and gratefully received.

bound to be some teething problems with a first release, but you have taken all comments on board to bolster content and explanations. giving every buyer an updated digital copy is brill and more than expected.

Well done again.