Search Unity

Need experienced devs input.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by austin_farmer90, Jul 4, 2014.

1. austin_farmer90

austin_farmer90

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this thread, but I couldn't find one that struck me as being better suited. Recently me an my team began work on a racing game that's going quite well IMHO. So if everything goes as planned we should be releasing in a couple of months. But most of my previous projects have been small flash games, so I don't really have experience with the indie pc game market.

I was just wondering, what marketplace do you guy's use to release your games on? I was thinking of Steam of course but in case we can't get on it for some reason itch.io was my back up. Are there any really great marketplaces out there I'm not thinking of?

Also doe's anyone know where we could get some physical copies of the game made up cheap, say about 100?

2. MakeCodeNow

MakeCodeNow

Steam is far and away the best option for PC indie distro, but as you say it's (currently) difficult to get into unless you know someone at Valve or go through Greenlight. Good Old Games is doing more indie work now, so you can check them out, Apple's Mac App Store for OSX, Desura for Linux, and there's also the Humble Bundle store that you can check out. You should also consider selling it through your site. There are a lot of good ecommerce web plugins that take a few % instead of the 30% or 40% that more established portals take.

If you want on the order of 100 physical copies, you'll probably want to make them yourself and use CD/DVD jewel cases. You can look at fullfillment services like Fangamer, but often the'll want orders quite a bit larger (by an order of magnitude at least).

3. chrisall76

chrisall76

Desura is also on Windows btw. If you can't get on steam, I would say Desura also works. I don't like the interface that much though.

4. austin_farmer90

austin_farmer90

Thanks, I was thinking about Desura too, but they have a review process just like steams I think. So I figured it would be best not to count on them. But I guess there's no reason to count them out.

5. austin_farmer90

austin_farmer90

@Chrisal That sucks, I was hoping there might be some smaller companies that specialize in that sort of thing :(

6. austin_farmer90

austin_farmer90