Search Unity

Need dialogue system asset.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Denisowator, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Denisowator

Denisowator

I've made a very basic dialogue system by following Brackeys' tutorial, and managed to upgrade it a little. But it just doesn't seem like the base of the system is robust enough for actual dialogue management and control.

All you can really do with it is show some text, and under a single character name. You can't even change the name of the character. Furthermore, the dialogue itself is specified within an object's "DialogueTrigger" script component, which means if i wanted to make multiple possibilities of dialogues (branching dialogue), I wouldn't be able to (at least not with how the system is right now) since you'd have to have multiple instances of the same script on that object. Which would just be a nightmare to work with later on.

Here's a list, showing exactly what I require from a dialogue system:
    • Able to set speaker's name and speech in separate UI Text objects.
    • Able to switch between multiple characters in conversation (ie. chr1 says something, then chr2 says something, then chr1 says something else, then chr3 says something, and dialogue ends).
    • Able to display choices which can be scrolled through with the arrow keys (not buttons you click with your mouse). At this point I don't really care if the choices are inside the dialogue box, or not.
    • Able to set certain choices as unselectable, based on things like player not possessing an item.
    • Branching dialogue based on choices. For example if chr1 (player) chooses "I don't have the item", make chr2 say "get the item", but if chr1 chooses "I got the item", make chr2 say "good", and be able to do whatever, whether that's reverting chr2's state to following the player, or changing a variable from another script, etc.
    • Display chr1's choice as text, before displaying chr2's text (some games just display chr2's reply after you choose something, and don't actually make chr1 say it in the dialogue box).
    • Able to easily set conversations as repeatable or not.
    • It must work with 5.x and up (I'm using 2017.1).
    What I mean in the 5th bullet point by "changing a variable" and "reverting chr2's state", is being able to do those things through either a visual editor, or by referencing your own scripts somewhere in the dialogue system's code (which I can't do with Brackeys' system).

For the text itself, a visual editor is not necessary, but it would be a huge help.

My current budget (what I'm willing to spend) is £100. But please make sure if you're suggesting an asset close to this price (£50+), that it's not packed with a lot of features that are not listed above, and that it has all the features listed above. I don't want to spend money on stuff I'll never use (at least not in my current game), and on stuff that will not prove useful enough for my purposes. Obviously something as expensive at £50+ would have a lot of excess features, but all the cheap stuff I looked at, had almost no features.

I really hope there's an asset out there that does exactly what I need. It seems creating a simple dialogue system is very easy, but creating a "useful" one, is very complex and difficult. I tried looking in the Asset store myself, but a lot of what I looked at seems to be either overkill, or underkill. For both the price and my requirements.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. derf

derf

3. Denisowator

Denisowator

TonyLi likes this.
  4. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Just go to @TonyLi 's profile page and look at his signature. Awesome asset.

Edit: both should get you to the right place. You just need to sign in first.

TonyLi and Denisowator like this.
  5. TonyLi

TonyLi

Looks like derf has access to Asset Store 2.0. :) All Asset Store links will eventually use that domain (assetstore.unity.com), but for now you can use the link in my signature below. Please feel free to download the evaluation version if you want to try it out first.

Denisowator likes this.
  6. Denisowator

Denisowator

Dialogue System on AssetStore
    What are the limitations on the evaluation version? I went to the link for downloading it, but can't see things like a time limit.

I did see something about the full version having no watermarks, but don't know how this (watermarks) is shown in something like a unity package. Could you explain please?

I'm on a college computer, so I can't download it right now.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  7. TonyLi

TonyLi

The only differences are that the evaluation version has a watermark during play, and it doesn't include source code.

Denisowator likes this.
  8. Denisowator

Denisowator

Thank you. I'll definitely have a look at it first thing when I get home.

9. TonyLi

TonyLi

Sounds good! If you have any questions, let me know. It may be overkill for your needs, but I'd rather provide a system that has everything you need than a system that's useless because it can't do what you need.

theANMATOR2b and Denisowator like this.